Greece!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all! Peace Corps volunteer here serving in Macedonia and looking to do a dive vacation in late August to Greece. I'm not too far from Thessaloniki and was thinking of doing some diving in Halkidiki but also was looking at Zakynthos in Western Greece. Basically, I've heard Greece is either really awesome or sort of crappy so I wanted to get some feedback on some good dive spots, what you typically see there and some bad spots. Any advice on dive shops too would be great! I'm a Bonaire, Belize, Mexico diver so I've seen some pretty amazing spots and just want to be sure I get a good experience in Greece as well!

Thanks!!!

I dove Santorini but wasn't too impressed. The area is mostly fished out, I'd say. There was one nice bay with small fishes but not great abundance.

I dove Santorini and Mykinos last summer and ditto what tajkd said, "Not much in the wow factor, but interesting in the historical side." My favorite European Dive is in Naples in the sunken Roman Villas.

Centro Sub Campi Flegrei - Le immersioni

You'll certainly not find the abundance of life seen in other parts of the world but still there are some good spots to dive around Greece.
Halkidiki is a nice place to visit and if you don't like the underwater world a lot, i'm sure you'll have a lot of things to like topside.
Samothraki is a nice place for some diving in the north Greece. If you want to go more south i suggest you try Sporades.

Undoubtedly, Greece could not be compared to the Red Sea or other tropical water destinations in terms of marine life abundance however there are spots and islands in the Aegean that dictate the opposite. The most important fact for Greece and the Aegean sea is the unique underwater topography and the nice sea water conditions along with the Aegean breeze and landscape.
Running a liveaboard operation we've been blessed to experience and testify for this uniqueness across different diving destinations.
If you are interested in diving on the Saronic gulf, central and southern Cyclades please have a look at our website what can we offer.

Best,
The Scubalife.gr Team

I actually agree with johnsub, depending on how much time you want to spend diving, you should consider places where you can nice things to visit as well.

Back
Top Bottom