Question Greece lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Jay Harris

Jay Harris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My son and I are planning to dive Skiathos and Skopelos islands in Greece mid July and would like to spear lionfish while there. Any suggestions on diveshops or spearing lionfish on these islands would be appreciated.

I was diving in Zakynthos 3 weeks ago, very little fish, predominantly lion fish. I was told that hunting the species was still forbidden in Greece.
Patrick
Thanks for the reply Patrick. It’s unfortunate Greece isn’t allowing lionfish to be culled as they will reduce native populations in very short order. Hope they don’t wait too long.
Spearfishing while freediving is legal. From my NGO's FB profile, I often see posts by Greek freedivers with their lionfish catch.

It would be nice if spearfishing lionfish on scuba would be allowed, but then you'd get "Δεν βλέπω καλά, νόμιζα ότι ήταν λεοντόψαρο." Eh, @stepfen?

It would be nice if spearfishing lionfish on scuba would be allowed, but then you'd get "Δεν βλέπω καλά, νόμιζα ότι ήταν λεοντόψαρο." Eh, @stepfen?
I wouldn't mind killing some lionfish either, but I think allowing this won't happen any time soon here. Illegal fishing is a huge problem. Imagine if they start easing the rules.

BTW due to this thread, during my last dive few days ago I counted how many lionfish I saw. I was not actively searching, just counted them if/when I saw any. I counted 24 pieces in 67 minutes!!

I wouldn't mind killing some lionfish either, but I think allowing this won't happen any time soon here. Illegal fishing is a huge problem. Imagine if they start easing the rules.

BTW due to this thread, during my last dive few days ago I counted how many lionfish I saw. I was not actively searching, just counted them if/when I saw any. I counted 24 pieces in 67 minutes!!
Wow!

No such problem in their ancestral homes ie. SE Asia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom