Greece and Turkey Trip- Diving worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I'm a PADI rescue diver and underwater photography enthusiast heading on a cruise of the Greek Isles. I'm not really a "cruiser" so still getting used to the idea of only having one day in each place. Normally on a longer trip I would fit diving in no matter what, but I'm reading ho hum reviews of the dive sites and as I said, only a day. Can anyone who has been to these locations recently recommend the diving?

Crete, Rhodes, Santorini, Mykanos, and Kusadasi (Turkey)

Any to avoid? Any significantly better or worse than the others? Originally we were mean to stop in Bodrum so I got a bit fixated on diving. Not to mention I wouldn't mind having another notch in my "countries dove in" belt :wink:

Appreciate any and all input!

I've been diving in Greece in the month of May.

I skipped diving at Santorini because the water was so damn cold and they only had 3mm wetsuits available for rent. In the off-season, it would difficult to find a dive shop that was open.

I did do some diving in the Bay of Navarrone, because I was able to rent a 7mm wetsuit. It was still pretty damn cold. It was not spectacular diving, either.

Santorini is a cool place, it would be interesting to dive there just "because."

If you are going soon, I would take a dry suit.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I will actually be going in July - right in the throes of tourist season! But warm, I hope.

I am really a warm water wussy so that will impact me a bit. I just did a liveaboard in the Bahamas in January and I was freezing on most of my dives!

Its starting to sound like diving in Greece is for the purpose you said- "just because."

Since you will be here on July, you can bring a 3mm suit if you like. I'm diving with 5mm, but using 3mm also. It is very hot during this month.It is summertime after all. You will find nice volcano caves in Santorini, about Mykonos, I would suggest the night life,since diving is very expensive there, about Rhodes I don't know, and about Crete-well look at my signature- Generally I would suggest wrecks and caves, since fish life both in Turkey and Greece is not much,due to Meditteranean being a relatively "closed" sea with so many fishermen...

Plus, from what I see about turkey, Bodrum and Kas are nice diving places, but for Turkey, I think a local would know much more than me.Hope I help

To Bodrum and its neighbour town Turgutreis you will find a lot of information on wannadive.net. But there is nothing about Kusadasi and I don't have own experience as well.
Watertemperature in July should be around 24°C.

hi, I am Can from Turkiye.For 4 years have I been diving in the western side of Turkey, etc. Kas,Kalkan,Izmir and Ayvalık. I suggest you Kalkan and Kas for 1st place, then Ayvalık and Last plcae is Izmır surroundings.

Personally I think by having an open mind and no misconceptions one can find interesting things to observe even in the green soup like, waters of the northern seas.

In the Summer diving is fun and in Greece you can practically dive anywhere!

From Corfu, up North-West, down to Crete at the South, there are dive spots that can take your breath away. Let us not forget that this is the Med and nobody can expect Red Sea or Carib environment. So open your mind, get here without any fixed state of mind and enjoy.

Turkey is a heaven for the ones who love diving. It is one of those places that are never short of excitement and assure that the travellers make the most of their travel.

If you are a diving enthusiast looking forward for a great trip, visit Turkey. One last thing, ask a good travel planner such as Turkey Travel Center to come out with a fine sightseeing plan for you! :coffee:

I had nice experiences in Bodrum. Some interesting sites and much better value than in Greece. Anyway I dived several islands in Greece as well and the most spectacular sites were the caverns. In Rhodes, Kalymnos, Crete there were several shallow, easy to dive caverns, but my favourite ones were in Corfu. With a wide angle lens you can do great shots there!
I Turkey nowadays made some artificial reefs, I think those boats and planes can be good to practice wide angle photography as well.

Back
Top Bottom