Great White Vs. Divers.....gone too far!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But Alison,

I haven't heard you reproach any of the spearfisherman on the board. :) I gotta believe that shortens the life quite a bit more than what DS did.

In truth, I am in agreement with you, we should pretty much take a "hands off" policy, I am simply amused sometimes by the contorted rationalizations we humans put ourselves through when approving of the felonies while condemning the misdemeanors. :bonk:

OK, ok....I stand 'partially' corrected but IMHO there is a difference here - personally I don't spearfish or collect shells as I think they should be left where they are, but to me I guess if the fish is going to be killed and eaten at least there is a point to the "stress/death" of the animal, whereas to bag a pufferfish just to take it over to show someone else who is in the water (I dunno, maybe DS's wife wasn't diving? Didn't quite get that)... it seems unneccessary.

.... and this is me getting off my soapbox!

Tata
:)

Hey all...

You know this reminds me of a song of my youth, about “puttin' pufferbellies all in a row”...

Actually, Keralucu, the statement "Take only pictures, leave only bubbles" is a modification of the "Leave no Trace” movement’s "Take only pictures, leave only footprints". I think most if not all of the ideas can be used underwater as well. "Low impact" is the mantra, and the goal is to not let people who come after you know you were even there.

Some draw backs... shells of non living creatures. Sure they -could- become a habitat for another creature, but I have a hard time with that. Picking up trash... sometimes that has already become a shelter for marine life. I remember picking up a five gallon can and having an irate moray depart thru the two inch pour spout while I was ascending. I stole his home!!! Heck, even some of our refuse is put down there on purpose to make artificial reefs.

No, I don't spear fish, but that’s only cause I don't like shark tug of wars (I have seen two in the Gulf) and I like fishing with rod and reel. Still, it’s a valid experience for many. Who am I to say what is right for another person... especially if they are hungry, and they don’t mind the sharks.

As for the puffer fish incident, I think he learned a valuable lesson. I was not aware of their fragility; in fact I thought they were pretty tough fish. Still, there are a lot of marine animals that suffer when humans play with them. They never see it as play, but as a life or death situation. I also take a look but don't touch attitude... especially with sharks
:tease:

This is just crazy!

It's also 12 years old.

The guy who wanted to ride a shark is in a nursing home now.

It's also 12 years old.

The guy who wanted to ride a shark is in a nursing home now.

Or, he's Great White poop. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 years old, really? :D

This was in the news a couple years ago. Fellow in Alaska thought grizzly bears had a bad rap. He would guide folks so they could have a bear experience. Would camp in their territory. Did this several times. Then one day folks found the remains of he and one of his clients.

That is my reaction to petting GW.

I actually read an article a couple of days ago myself about people trying to tell everyone how the great white isnt dangerous, just missunderstood..

GET REAL! They are bloody dangerous animals that need to be shown respect!
As long as you dont piss them off or snorkle in a seal colony, yes, the chance are extremely low that youll be attacked, but they ARE dangerous animals that can and will cause you significant harm if you piss them off or get mistaken as food and theres just no way around that fact.

Back
Top Bottom