Great White Spotted Off Charleston SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had one off Jersey this summer. 2 divers were in the water doing their deco hang when they saw it. It hung around one particular wreck for a while.

My first upclose Shark was a 12ft hammerhead..... almost peed my wet suit... Crazy experiance... its agreat story though

JerseyDevil:
We had one off Jersey this summer. 2 divers were in the water doing their deco hang when they saw it. It hung around one particular wreck for a while.

I heard about that. It was some divers on one of the NESS charters, right? What wreck was it hanging around on?

Looking at a 23' GW in a 24' is great way to ring in the new year! Forget taking pictures of the shark I wish Could have seen their faces<g> A friend of mine saw one off the Jersey coast, they were in a 60' and he felt like he was standing on a toothpick. The do demand a heap of respect.

Although they are usually associated with South Africa, Australia, and California, Great White Sharks can appear anywhere. There is only one creature in the oceans more fierce than they are, Orcas, and so the GWSs can pretty much go wherever they want.

Sounds like this one, in the news article, was lost. Probably from South Africa.

Since a Boston Whaler can make up to 35 kts easy, I take it the fishermen had cut their speed in order to watch the shark.

Seems like from the behavior of the shark, it was wondering if the boat was another shark as well. Rolling over to expose its belly sounds like a mating behavior of some sort. They are not smart creatures, just curious.

ScubaK-Dawg,
It was an NESS charter, I believe. It was hanging around the Mountain (I think).

Anybody know of other documented GWs of this size of the south east coast of the US. I mean 23 ft is mighty big and fishermen tend to have a little exaggeration problem (as do divers), trust me my fathers been fishing of the coast here for years. And anytime to media gets a hold of a shark story they like to spin it in all different direction. I would just like to read more of this or other such stories from this area. Any scientific data, unfortunatly probably not. I thought I was going to have to shell out some big bucks to get somewhere to do some GW diving!!!

"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark!"

Oh and for those interested, just got a book entitled "Shark" from the adrenaline books series. It contains 20 short stories from a range of authors including J.M. Cousteau, Peter Benchley, Jack London and Hemingway just to name a few. Not a bad red at all.

That is AWSOME I would love to see a Great White while diving sounds like a reason to head to South Carolina to me. I will have to up my life insurance first hehehe

Bmcalli:
Anybody know of other documented GWs of this size of the south east coast of the US. I mean 23 ft is mighty big and fishermen tend to have a little exaggeration problem (as do divers), trust me my fathers been fishing of the coast here for years. And anytime to media gets a hold of a shark story they like to spin it in all different direction. I would just like to read more of this or other such stories from this area. Any scientific data, unfortunatly probably not. I thought I was going to have to shell out some big bucks to get somewhere to do some GW diving!!!

"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark!"

Oh and for those interested, just got a book entitled "Shark" from the adrenaline books series. It contains 20 short stories from a range of authors including J.M. Cousteau, Peter Benchley, Jack London and Hemingway just to name a few. Not a bad red at all.

If you do a google search with the phrase "shark attack" and the additional word "Australia" you should be able to find the local accounts of GWS attacks in the Great Barrier Reef area on scuba divers.

One that comes to mind is of a married couple. The husband was bitten, and the wife was swallowed whole. They found her fins, with her feet still in them, but nothing else. I do not recall whether the husband survived either.

Thats why cages are a good idea, or rather, the lesser of two weevils.

Hell yeah!

*plans a trip to Charleston and Georgia*

I want to dive with a Great White so much. Oh and...

No, no, it's

"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, shark's in the water...our shark."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom