Great White spotted at Crystal Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@BenjaminF

If anything, it is the other way around. Humans are a hazard to the sharks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hombre
Ret real !

Tell that to my my three dear departed friends
Al Sneppersnoff--FWS bit his leg -fatal
Randy Fry- GWS bit his head off - never found -fatal
Debbie Franzman- GWS bit her hip -fatal.

And their fathers, mothers brothers and sisters
SDM

Wahou, such a thrilling encounter!

I go there next month. I was hopping for Mola-Mola and Mantas.. but I add it at the top of my list.

@Sam Miller III , I grew up in South Africa. I know what sharks can do. And they only do things like that when WE invade THEIR home and don't behave.
If we behave as proper guests, they leave us alone. It can be one of the most amazing things to see, when a great white takes a seal from the surface above you. But you always need to remember to behave as a proper guest. Otherwise you become a threat or food and are dealt with accordingly.

Define “proper guest”.
Don't poke them. Don't act like their food. Don't smell like their food (people carrying speared fish, I'm looking at you...). And in general, don't try to swim above them. That should keep people out of trouble in general :)

@BenjaminF I'm not saying Great white sharks are ruthless killing machines, and yes, they mostly aren't interested in humans as prey, but unprovoked predatory attacks do happen. They are rare for sure, but saying it only happens when the victims didn't "behave" is a bit much.

How did this guy not "behave" for example?
http://sharkattackfile.net/spreadsheets/pdf_directory/2005.08.24.b-Stehbens.pdf

Apart from diving next to where people were fishing and chumming? That is basically diving into what to sharks looks like an all-you-can-eat breakfast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom