great white off galveston??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
someone forwarded me an email with pics........no date. but it was implied it was recent.......commercial shrimping vessel by the name of Dawn Raider, had an encounter in the gulf with a great white that wandered over here somehow, and they slipped a rope around it's tail, and it dragged them aways, then eventually drowned, and they landed it, weighed it in at 1035 pounds. there were pics of the shark, people on the dock where they weighed it, etc. did this really happen?? and when??

do a google search for dawn raider great white shark and you will find the same story but with various locations where it supposedly occurred.

I googled that story and found this funny drawing from the website Combat Diver Assn of Canada that carried the story and then someone de-bunked it.

Great caption picture.....

Attachments

• beaver scuba.jpg
    beaver scuba.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 904
According to all the maps I have seen, it is possible for them to be here since Galveston is shown in their range of habitat.

According to all the maps I have seen, it is possible for them to be here since Galveston is shown in their range of habitat.

Last I checked, just about any water on earth except the Arctic and Antarctic were possibly ranges of habitat.

There was some news recently about distinct white populations in the world that don't mix. However, the addendum to that is that they travel long distances and don't merely cling to their population centers.

The water is pretty warm around Galveston for Great Whites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom