Great Lakes Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to dive a single tank with an H valve for dealing with Great Lakes cold water free flows. But it isn’t true redundancy. If I’m doing a single tank these days I also take a side slung Alu 40.

Or doubles, or sidemount.

have you considered coming to canada ? more bang for your buck up here. if you are open to that, shoot me a private message. i work for a shop not far from the MN border. we have a number of options in the area.

Thanks for the mention, @Jared0425, but I'll let others comment on Lake Michigan diving.

My favorite place to dive on the Great Lakes are the Straits of Mackinac, between both peninsulas (this is where the Mackinac Bridge is). The Sandusky is an awesome wreck. Cedarville and Eber Ward, too.

OP needs to understand that Great Lakes diving is unlike that wherever he might be used to, such as Florida or the Caribbean. Nearly all the charter boats are 6 packs. Most do not take walk on divers or book per seat. Most boats are booked a year ahead of time and mostly by dive shops or private charters.

Snipped

@Marie13, this is closer to UK diving.

Generally, you need to charter the complete boat. Most boats are licensed for 12 maximum. Most UK diving is generally based on 2 dives per day.

Probably the best known destination for international diving visitors to the UK is Scapa Flow. Which is where what remains of the German High Seas Fleet (WW1) was scuttled by order of the German Admiral Ludwig von Reuter when the Armistice was delayed, he then order the fleet sunk to avoid it falling into allied hands.

The two destinations, if you want to dive a large number of capital war ships are
Truk Laggon, - tropical water, where the Japanese fleet where sunk by the Americans.
Or
Scapa Flow, - cold water, where the German High Seas Fleet where scuttled.

For charters, I recommend Captain Jen with Nautical North out of Mackinaw City, Michigan. Her price is $120 for two dives, which is slightly below average for the Great Lakes. She can usually accommodate a single diver or pair of divers on weekend charters with other smaller groups without needing to book a whole boat. She goes out most summer weekends. The Straits of Mackinac Shipwreck Preserve has one of the best collections of wrecks in the Great Lakes including intact 19th century wood wrecks like the Sandusky & Maitland (both at 85') and 20th century steel wrecks like the massive Cedarville at 104'. Mackinac is a very popular tourist area in Michigan so there are a wide range of accommodations and dining options. There's also plenty to do topside such as visiting Mackinac Island, Fort Michilimackinac, Headlands International Dark Sky Park, and the Museum of Objibwa Culture at Old Mission St. Ignace. Of course, there's also the trip across the Mackinac Bridge separating Lake Michigan from Lake Huron and connecting Michigan's Lower Peninsula to its Upper Peninsula.

Not to hijack the thread, but where is the best visibility? Im in western ohio and looking to dive the lakes this summer. Im willing to drive further for good viz but would be very interested in best viz at least distance from home.

Not to hijack the thread, but where is the best visibility? Im in western ohio and looking to dive the lakes this summer. Im willing to drive further for good viz but would be very interested in best viz at least distance from home.

Best viz is early in the season - May and June. Probably the best viz I’ve had was in the Straits.

Lake Superior has the best viz year round. Isle Royale is also fabulous. Ryan runs a great boat but you will probably be booking a space for 2023 not summer 2021.
Diving Info - Isle Royale ChartersIsle Royale Charters

Bonus, no mussels

I believe the nearest charters would be out of Erie, PA (Lake Erie Adventure Charters), or the Double Action boats out of Sanilac, MI or Hammond, IN. I've only managed one trip out of Hammond (my other attempts were blown out). I had a lot of fun on it, though, and am going to try again this summer.

It is a little frustrating that there is nothing really available out of Ohio (as far as I can tell). Of course, the visibility would probably not be great.

I believe the nearest charters would be out of Erie, PA (Lake Erie Adventure Charters), or the Double Action boats out of Sanilac, MI or Hammond, IN. I've only managed one trip out of Hammond (my other attempts were blown out). I had a lot of fun on it, though, and am going to try again this summer.

It is a little frustrating that there is nothing really available out of Ohio (as far as I can tell). Of course, the visibility would probably not be great.

There’s Osprey Charters in NY, on the eastern end of Lake Erie. Friends out of OH and MI often dive with them.

Once you're sure you have adequate exposure wear, then the next thing you should cover (IMHO) is possible regulator freeze-up at depth. For recreational dives in the Great Lakes Michigan, Superior, and Huron, I recommend a Y-valve or H-valve with two complete, environmentally-sealed regulators, on a single cylinder that is larger (perhaps) than you normally dive. (So, an HP100 or a LP108, maybe.) Connect one first stage to your BC, and the other to your drysuit.

Practice 2nd stage switches and 1st stage shut-downs while diving.

Practice disconnecting/reconnecting your BC inflator hose and your drysuit inflator hose while diving.

Practice orally inflating your BC while diving. (Many of us haven't done this since our open water check-out!)

Practice breathing from your regulator when you don't have a mask on and the water is very cold.

Practice the above skills using the gloves/mitts you intend to wear on your Great Lakes dives.

The above recommendations can be acquired (gear) and practiced (skills) where you are now, so that you'll be more prepared for your Great Lakes dives.

rx7diver

P.S. One other thing: Make sure your drysuit underwear is adequate. It needs to keep you reasonably warm at depth (so, it should NOT compress too much) and if your suit floods (so, cotton long underwear is NOT recommended, e.g.).

I’ve done a lot of Great Lakes diving and haven’t seen anyone with a reg/valve setup like you’ve recommended. The experienced single tank divers sling a pony, often an AL40.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom