Great dives in unexpected locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillHartNZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought it could be interesting to share some of the less expected dive spots in New Zealand. Kiwis are pretty well known for exploring and doing things a bit differently so I'm sure there's some interesting spots you guys have to share.

I'll start by sharing one of the slightly weirder spots that me and a friend like to go diving.

I live in Dunedin and he lives in Timaru. He has access to a bach in Otametata which is perfectly even (almost) travel time between us. Most people wouldn't normally associate the hydro lakes with scuba diving but we've found lake Aviemore to be some pretty different diving for us.

We treat it as a drift dive and drift a section just below Benmore dam known as the Aviemore river. We can make it anywhere from a short 20 minute cruise to over an hour with still more to drift through. Things we tend to spot is the typical lake fish being trout and galaxiids. Another interesting thing closer to the start of the dive is a little bit of construction relics (foundations etc) from prior to the dam being built. As both of us are keen fishermen we always seem to find a few lures in the rocks as well as a little bit of rubbish that we always remove. As we have gotten to know the lake better we have done it at night which gives us a unique perspective and a lot of sleeping trout.

Here's a video we each made of different trips:
My video:
His video:

If anyone is keen on doing this dive there are a few safety/environmental things to look out for. Firstly do not do this dive on a holiday weekend! There are so many boats about that it is simply not possible to coexist. Make sure you always tow a float with a flag (the bigger the better) so boats know you're out there. Don't try do it when the river is in flood you won't see anything and it's simply not safe. Also from an environmental standpoint be aware of didymo. I don't know if there is didymo there or not (I think there is) but alway remember to check, clean, and dry when going between bodies of freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom