Great Dive Trip in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toolbox-13

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,
I just got back from a fabulous Dive Vacation in Key West. I took AOW, & Nitrox courses together and had 8 great dives in 4 days. I went through Captains Corner Dive shop in Key West and the folks there are great they make you feel like your family. Leslie the owner is great and there staff of instructors and Divemasters are top notch. The water is crystal clear and the marine life on the reefs are breathtaking. Some of the sights I saw were a reef shark, 6 nurse sharks, a spoted eagle ray, hundreds of barracuda, parrot fish, a scool of beautiful anglefish, lots of spiney lobster, just to name a few. The Dive boat is the Sea Eagle and we dove 4 different reef sights and 2 wrecks. The captain is very knowledgeable and they bend over backwards to make your dive great. They have apartments in the compound and its only 2 blocks to the boat. If anyone is looking for a great dive trip check out Captains Corner in Key west. They also do a deal for students if you take any class with them you get free equipment rental any time you go back and for as long as your stay you only pay for boat trips. www.captainscorner.com check out there web sight

I'm jealous. I was there in Oct. and had some great dives. I enjoyed rock key and eastern dry rocks. Also dove joes tug and the cayman salvage.
Reefs were definitely better than the wrecks. Next trip further up the keys toward key largo.
John

Unfortunately I only got to dive 2 days and I was down there for 4 days of diving. The wind was too strong and I only got 1 day of diving in West Palm Beach with Jim Abernathy Scuba Adventures for 2 drift dives which were really cool. And 2 dives off of Key West with Subtropic. With Subtropic we dove a reef and Joe's Tug which was really cool being the 1st wreck I have dove on.

Unfortunately the seas were 7-10 feet on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so no boats were going out from pretty much Key West to Marathon as far as we could find. Went fishing on Thursday instead and I could not believe how big the seas were.

TTSkipper

TT.. We also dove with subtropic. We had a great time. The seas sound pretty intense. How was the vis?
john
:rfish: :blfish:

How would you compare west palm to key west? I've been told that the diving is significantly better in the west palm, ft. lauderdale area. I saw a video of the area diving and there seems to be alot of reef structures around the ft. lauderdale area.

Joes tug was fun. There were a lot of fish schooling around the collapsed portion near the bow. Hog fish in the depression under the stern.

All in all, we enjoyed the reef dive over the wreck.
John

I did 2 Wrecks Joes Tug and the Caymen Salvager along with 6 reef dives in 4 days I had strong surge at the caymen salvager with 6 foot swells getting out of the water was a little tuff but the crew of the sea eagle were great. I did 4 reef dives friday no dive sat too much wind, 2 wrecks sunday and 2 reefs monday with a sunset cruise on a schooner monday evening it was such a great trip I want to go back soon.

has been tough for the past 5 weeks. Wind speeds at 20+ knots for days at a time.

Today we had wind at about 8 knots & we did 2 dives at Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary. Vis was about 30 feet.

We think the weather pattern will make for some good dive conditions down here in the Lower keys over the next several days.:)

Back
Top Bottom