Great day doing first dives after OW classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nrengle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just wanted to say thanks to the everyone on Scubaboard here for all the info I've read over the last month. It definitely came in handy for my wife and myself yesterday as we did our first dives after getting our OW last month. And a special thanks to Dave Metcalfe for going with us. Dave was also our DM in our checkout dives. We got to do two dives at Gilboa for about 30 minutes each. We still suck air pretty bad just cause of being new, but already better than the classes! It was interesting experiencing the thermoclines. Definitely in the market for some gloves for next time up there. But it was very cool to see the chopper, and planes, and the wall. And not feeling like we were constantly going to swim into anyone, or stir up the bottom, or pop to the surface with one kick. But anyways I'm rambling. Thanks again for all the good advice here, and to Dave for everything yesterday. Can't wait to do it again (got to wait till September since I'll be traveling for work :depressed:)!

Glad to hear you had a good day at Gilboa. Did they get cleaned up from the storm? I heard they got hit pretty bad. I will be up there this weekend as my wife and youngest daughter are finishing their OW course. BTW Dave is a great guy to dive with...We dove together when I was trying out some doubles for the first time (not my best day)

I remember my first dive after certification, my daughter and I went to Natural Springs and had a great time. That is a great place for novice divers to go. Vis is generally good, the depth averages about 20 feet and they have guidelines for you to follow. If you go during the week you will need to have full tanks as the fill station is only open on weekends (if I recall correctly).

Hope to run into you at the quarries!

glen

Love to read these stories! That's what those of us who teach or assist classes are aiming for . . . folks to go out diving on their own, and have a good time doing it.

Glen

Yeah they got most of it cleaned up. There's some limbs and stuff in places they can't get to such as in tree tops in the parking areas. Then one of the tables on left most dock got crushed (if you stand facing them from land, looking at the water). The limbs on it were pretty sizable, and not moving, so no danger posed at the time. Other than that it seemed to be pretty clean. There was a open pit that appeared to be from some tree roots, but its as covered up...

And yeah, Dave was great, was definitely nice to go with someone that knows the site, and all that.

TS

I actually have read a lot of what you've had to say. So thank you for your help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom