Great Carib Diving w. Cameraderie? Suggestions Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some idea of what to expect on the T/C Explorer (not my trip report but it illustrates the ship/diving well) Saudio's Trip Reports

Our room had twin beds, a 3' wide aisle w/nightstand, a corner desk and ensuite bathroom. Also cabins on the main deck have windows - not portholes. On that particular boat there's both a sundeck and a flying bridge/2nd deck so there's plenty of room. I'm an insomniac so I slept up there a couple of nights.

However as a single, you'll either have to pay a single supplement or have to share with another same-sex single unless the boat is really empty. On many liveaboards after doing 4 (5 counting night dives) most divers retire pretty early. Except we had a louder group on this past trip that stayed up well past midnight.

SunDancer II in Belize is one of the bigger liveaboards working in the Caribbean. And most affordable - it's $1895. Nice thing about that trip is once you pay for it, there's no other costs except the port fees/crew tip - they pick you up at the airport since the boat moors in Belize City.

Check schedules on the Explorer, Dancer and Aggressor websites - or call them -there's some photography specific liveaboard weeks where experts join you and help improve your photos while diving.

Liveaboard. For sure.

Sad to say, a liveaboard won't work this trip. I'm stoked for it, but best I can tell, the schedules all are Saturday to Saturday. This trip has to begin on a Wednesday or Thursday - that's how vacation has to work this year. So I'll do land-based. I've appreciated all the help, and willing to take on more!

CoCo View in Roatan would fit a lot of the criteria. Not sure how connections from MIA would work. I have been th)ere twice and it hits most of your criteria. The accommodations are not high end but comfortable, and all meals are buffet-style (nothing fancy, but "hot and alot") so its really easy to meet new people. Boats are never crowded and its a pretty laid back atmosphere. Dive operation is very good and professional, and everyone makes you feel welcome. Check out SB Roatan section for TONS of information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom