Great Carib Diving w. Cameraderie? Suggestions Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm looking for suggestions - the more specific, the better - for a fantastic place to dive the first week in March. Here are the filters:

1. Easy to get to from Miami.
2. Great diving. (I've been spoiled by Bonaire and Saba.)
3. Boats that aren't stupidly crowded. (As per above, I've been spoiled by Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn an Sea Saba.)
4. A decent Group of divers who are moderately social, like to trade stories and share photos, etc. (I'll be traveling alone, and wouldn't mind some cameraderie.)
5. Nice accommodations and decent food, ideally with an attached dive operator that's really good, and a social/ hangout vibe that's neither loud nor oppressive.

Like I said, I'm looking for specific recommendations, and eager for all advice. I enjoyed Bruce Bowker on Bonaire, but it felt small and isolated - no restaurant or bar. I adore Saba, and would consider going back, but I'd like to be on the water, not 1000 feet above it. I was at Small Hope Bay in Andros years ago, andcitvhad the right vibe, but I worry it'll be too cold in early March. I'm wondering about Turks & Caicos, Belize, Roatan, the Caymans. What would you advise me?

I spent 6 months in St Croix diving with St Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures (tortuous name to get the acronym but an awesome shop). The staff there is great, plenty of hotels right on the water easy walking distance to bars, great restaurants, and all the boats for fishing and diving.

All of the divers I met with all of the ops on the island were friendly and loved swapping stories.

Be careful of Simeon -- fantastic dive master and great guy but HOLY @$!* that boy can drink! :)

Not sure how the diving compared to the other destinations you mentioned, but the walls are amazing. I would give Cozumel the edge in bigger marine life (sharks tend to be pretty deep but they do exist).

Sunset House on Grand Cayman might be an option. My Bar there is the diver's hangout - it's a semi-AI yet just a few minutes from Georgetown. Decent shore dive, has the Cathy Church photo school on-site - it's a smaller resort.

Cobalt Coast on the north side might be another option. Divetech is on-site - shorediving there and they'll take you to their other location at Lighthouse Point when asked. I think it's a full-AI if you buy meals. Downside is it's about a 10min. drive back to Seven Mile Beach.

I've read good things about both Little Cayman Beach Resort and Brac Reef Resort. Never been to either.

I don't think there's any dive resorts on Provo (T/C) except maybe Breezes. There is the Bohio Dive Resort on Grand Turk which is much smaller and less populated - IDK anything about it.

You might also look at Luna Beach resort on Roatan. It's a little removed yet close to the West End. They have a water taxi IIRC. So quiet yet access to all the restaurants, bars, nightlife on the West End if desired.

Or Deep Blue Utila or Laguna Beach Resort on Utila. Both are across the lagoon channel from the main town so all access is by boat. Laguna Beach is a little bigger, has a beach bar, pool etc. Deep Blue is 10 rooms, lounge/dining room/bar/pool table in one. Good food and quiet at night - rooms are right on the water but there's a lot of bugs due to the lagoon behind it so bring deet or something.

There's a couple decent shore dives off either resort but most of the better boat dives are around on the north side. Our captain had no problem going there daily. An exception would be Black Hills, probably the best 40' dive I've done in recent years. Also March would be Whale Shark season - it's snorkel only but still great. We saw 6 the last week of March 2 years ago. Deep Blue has special programs where you meet experts in the field, dive with them and do minor participation in the research. They also have lectures most nights.

Check out Coconut Tree Divers in Roatan. They might fit your bill quite nicely. I can't wait to go back. We spent a day with them last spring and REALLY did not want to leave. P.J. and Gay are awesome! Next time, we will book a week with these folks. It is rather rustic, though.
Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers on the East End of Grand Cayman are also quite good. Out of the way and relaxed. My favorite "civilized" locale. Cayman Airways flies direct from MIA. We're heading there in a few weeks :)

Wow - thanks for the feedback! I'll check out the suggestions. Diversteve, can you tell me more about Thr Cathy Church Photo School? I rented a camera my last trip to Saa, and the 10 good photos (out of maybe 400 shot) got me hooked. I wouldn't mind taking a structured course for a few days.

All other suggestions are welcome. After all, part of the fun of going is all the "presearch" about wonderful places!

True Blue Bay resort and Aquanauts Grenada in St George, Grenada. It's off the beaten path. Can't tell who else will be in the house that week, but you will have awesome diving and a great resort/restaurant/bar in a fantastic resort that is not a dive resort. With that said, they offer some pretty incredible diving.

Brac Reef Beach Resort on Cayman Brac meets all your requirements, I believe. I was there in Oct 2011, and can highly recommend it. Great diving, great food, very nice resort, lots of social people. When I was there they were completely full, but the dive boat never felt overly crowded. Direct flight from Miami on Cayman Airlines.

That having been said, the very best dive of the trip was Bloody Bay Wall on Little Cayman, 7 miles away by boat. BRBR has a sister resort on that island called Little Cayman Beach Resort. I've never been there, but it's is supposed to be set up similarly to BRBR, so I'd check that one out too. Little bit harder to get to, as you have to take a puddle jumper from Grand Cayman or the Brac.

James

Wow - thanks for the feedback! I'll check out the suggestions. Diversteve, can you tell me more about Thr Cathy Church Photo School? I rented a camera my last trip to Saa, and the 10 good photos (out of maybe 400 shot) got me hooked. I wouldn't mind taking a structured course for a few days.
I've been there but it was a few years ago. Not for classes but during a SI at Sunset House. Cathy was nice enough to autograph a photo my buddy bought - French Angel in Porthole #10 in the gallery on her website - even though she'd just come from a dive and was standing there dripping wet. Nice lady...

Cathy Church - Welcome

Let me ask you all another question: What about a liveaboard? I've never done one, and have been concerned that they might be claustrophobic, crowded, or otherwise uncomfortable. Also not sure I want to dive five times a day - I like doing three tanks, and then having some R&R. Then again, I can imagine there's good camaraderie, a chance to take lots of photos (I'm sn utter but passionate novice), etc. what do you all think?

Definitely a great option. The only issue is whether you want to pay extra for your own room or take your chances bunking with someone.

I've only done one liveaboard - Explorer Ventures' Turks & Caicos trip. That boat is very large, with lots of common spaces, so clautrophobia wasn't a problem at all. The diving was fantastic, as were the crew and food. My wife and I did all five dives every day, but there were a few people on the boat that just did 2 or 3 tanks a day. Obviously the level of camaraderie will vary according to the guests on board, but we ended up chatting frequently with everyone on board. The DMs, purser, and captain were very enthusiastic and fun to talk to also.

From the research I did for my last trip, it looks like there's some great liveaboard options throughout the Caribbean - Cayman Islands, Turks & Caicos, Belize, Saba & St. Kitts, Bahamas, etc. Seems like most companies have some kind of special going, if you have flexible dates.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom