Great Barrier Reef in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering why Taka, Mike Ball, Spirit of Freedom etc. were so expensive compared with some others, but I from what you're saying, I'm hearing that they actually visit different reefs than some other boats. That's too bad, cause their prices seem more than we can handle. . .

These boats go up to the northern Ribbon Reefs & Cod Hole (up towards Lizard Island if you look at a map of Queensland) and out to the Coral Sea. These are the areas you want to dive out of Cairns/Port Douglas. The reefs in these areas are beautiful. I have only done 2 sites within day boat territory and there was no comparison. IMHO-You want to spend the money to get to the good dive sites.

Last edited:
Mike Ball is so expensive because if it offers the highest level of comforts for a liveboard - you get what you paid for

btw for a Brisbane based dive op, i also suggest the Big Cat Reality that dives Morton Bay (Nth Stradbroke Island) and its based close to Brisbane. over January they run a few Brunker Group trips and this is rarely dived. Moreton Bay (Brisbane) Scuba Diving aboard Big Cat Reality - The Brisbane Liveaboard

IMHO-You want to spend the money to get to the good dive sites.
Just to clarify -- I mean this in the context of the boats out of Cairns. Personally, I'd chose by the itinerary on offer rather than the poshness of the boat.

I think you should consider AlmityWife's suggestion to look at other areas of Queensland such as the Brisbane trips she mentioned. Or Townsville trip.

With either of these you'll probably need to get to Cairns or back to Sydney for your flight back to the US.

Yah, we're not too worried about the amenities, as long as it's comfortable enough to enjoy the diving. We're still looking into all the great info you've provided so far, and considering the many options.

Ted

Most has already been said but I solidly recommend Ocean Quest for a 3 day or 2 day trip out of Cairns.
If you can go a little bit more upmarket and have the time - Spirit of Freedom, Taka and Mike Ball are the best 3 that run to the Ribbon Reefs (best of the Barrier Reef and includes the Cod Hole) and Coral Sea.

Info on these trips can be found here and please feel free to contact me if anyone needs any unbiased advice.
Kevin

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

Cairns Discount Scuba Diving Trips - Great Barrier Reef

Liveaboards definately the best divng option for the nothern reef but for day boats and a great journey get to Port Douglas and try Calypso Reef Charters. Professional and friendly family run dive company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom