Great Barrier Reef - Dive Hotels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have looked through the threads on this - we have on Heron Island twice in the past and would like to schedule a November trip to come from the US to dive the Great Barrier Reef. We are interested in other hotels on the GBR - we are looking at Lizard Island, Lady Elliot and Orpheus - does anyone have an opinion on a hotel on the Great Barrier Reef with close access to dive sites? Any comparison views on these places? Thanks!

Not Orpheus, not much diving there (dived around the bay from there in 2017 from my yacht) or really nearby. Not even sure if they have a dive operation. Lizard Island is close to the reef and the Cod Hole, do they have a dive operation?

Lady Elliot has a very good reputation but there are limitations on weight of gear that can be taken on the plane. Probably the pick of the lot, similar in ways to Heron Island. There is also Lady Musgrave but not really a hotel, floating pontoon thing, new since I was there in 2015 and 2017.

Any reason to not just go for a liveaboard? Bring your hotel to the dive sites - about the most convenient way to dive multiple sites.

Yeah the ultraly exorbitant costs to look at more rocks and more fish

Admittedly it's been a while since I did my GBR trip, but at the time at least it ended up not too far apart in cost factoring in that the Liveaboard is basically an all-inclusive. Hotel + meals + surface transportation/etc erased a lot of the extra expense of just living on the boat for the same time.

Admittedly it's been a while since I did my GBR trip, but at the time at least it ended up not too far apart in cost factoring in that the Liveaboard is basically an all-inclusive. Hotel + meals + surface transportation/etc erased a lot of the extra expense of just living on the boat for the same time.
We most often do liveaboards but unfortunately for this trip we don't have enough time - about 4 days max. Thanks for the feedback!

Not Orpheus, not much diving there (dived around the bay from there in 2017 from my yacht) or really nearby. Not even sure if they have a dive operation. Lizard Island is close to the reef and the Cod Hole, do they have a dive operation?

Lady Elliot has a very good reputation but there are limitations on weight of gear that can be taken on the plane. Probably the pick of the lot, similar in ways to Heron Island. There is also Lady Musgrave but not really a hotel, floating pontoon thing, new since I was there in 2015 and 2017.
Much appreciated. I did laugh at that weight limit issue ...

We most often do liveaboards but unfortunately for this trip we don't have enough time - about 4 days max. Thanks for the feedback!

Ocean Encounters out of Cairns runs a flexible schedule. Their docked boat runs out to the liveaboard ship each day to resupply, drop off and pick up divers. So you can customize the length of your liveaboard trip, we did 3 days.

Ocean Encounters out of Cairns runs a flexible schedule.
I think you mean Reef Encounter.

Both OceanQuest and Reef Encounter are like floating hotels that move from Reef to Reef and have daily transfers so you can chose any lenght of stay really.

We have looked through the threads on this - we have on Heron Island twice in the past and would like to schedule a November trip to come from the US to dive the Great Barrier Reef. We are interested in other hotels on the GBR - we are looking at Lizard Island, Lady Elliot and Orpheus - does anyone have an opinion on a hotel on the Great Barrier Reef with close access to dive sites? Any comparison views on these places? Thanks!
You don't mention where you are flying in to and out of?

I've just come back from Lady Elliot Island.. don't let the weight allowance put you off, extra luggage is cheap relative to what you will spend overall (cost me $160 AUD) - and over a few days, cheaper than hiring, plus the benefit of using your own gear. You will need to book your luggage in advance, it's just a single prop plane with limited space. Just a note if night diving is an interest - they basically don't do it, despite what they say on the website, so you will get in two dives a day.

Excellent eco resort, with the easy accessibilty to diving (and snorkelling) you are looking for. The diving itself was excellent, not disappointed.

Yes, similiar but different to Heron Island as others have said, so I think it fits the bill well.

You're talking November, so that's stinger season for Lizard Island and Orpheus Island (never been to either) being that far north... at that time of year, they wouldn't be my first (or second or third) choice.

Back
Top Bottom