graves opthamopathy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DESIGNERDIVER

IS IT SUMMER YET?
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was just diagnosed with Graves eye disease/thyroid eye disease. Can you tell me if diving is reccomended? as of right now my eye pressure is normal and I have no ptosis.
thanks

Last edited:
Hi DESIGNERDIVER,

Based on the inquiry, it is not possible to discern upon what basis(es) the diagnosis of Grave's disease was made.

It is good that the condition is not causing any increased intraocular pressure, bulging of the eyes or "ptosis (drooping of the upper eyelid)."

However, these are not the only concerns with this, and other, forms of hyperthyroidism. They also can produce accelerated heart rate and other cardiac abnormalities, excessive sweating, intolerance to heat, weakness, fatigue, shortness of breath on exertion and other features of exercise intolerance, visual distrubances, skin lesions, anxiety (including panic attacks) and other psychiatric features, weight loss, and concentration difficulty and other cognitive abnormalities, among others.

Divers must handle heavy gear and be able to deal with possible unexpected stressful events like disturbing nitrogen narcosis, strong current or surge, buddy rescue and a long surface swim in rough water. As such, they must have the stamina, appropriate cardiac response, and cognitive and behavioral capacity to dive safely under sometimes rigorous and trying conditions.

Here is what DAN has to say about diving with active hyperthyroidism:

DAN Divers Alert Network

There of course also is the issue of what, if any, treatment the affected diver may be undergoing for Grave's disease (this is not mentioned in the post). Medications may be prescribed and can include steroids and beta-blockers to control ophthalmic and cardiac symptoms, respectively, or antithyroid agents like methimazole and propylthiouracil. When used, the implications of these drugs for SCUBA must be assessed.

The hyperthyroid individual who is without any of the above discussed symptoms or signs, and who is undergoing no treatment for the diagnosed condition, probably is safe to dive. Persons manifesting clinically meaningful with signs or symptoms of, or undergoing treatment for, Grave’s disease would be prudent to seek clearance by a qualified endocrinologist.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Hi DESIGNERDIVER,

Based on the inquiry, it is not possible to discern upon what basis(es) the diagnosis of Grave's disease was made.

It is good that the condition is not causing any increased intraocular pressure, bulging of the eyes or "ptosis (drooping of the upper eyelid)."

However, these are not the only concerns with this, and other, forms of hyperthyroidism. They also can produce accelerated heart rate and other cardiac abnormalities, excessive sweating, intolerance to heat, weakness, fatigue, shortness of breath on exertion and other features of exercise intolerance, visual distrubances, skin lesions, anxiety (including panic attacks) and other psychiatric features, weight loss, and concentration difficulty and other cognitive abnormalities, among others.

Divers must handle heavy gear and be able to deal with possible unexpected stressful events like disturbing nitrogen narcosis, strong current or surge, buddy rescue and a long surface swim in rough water. As such, they must have the stamina, appropriate cardiac response, and cognitive and behavioral capacity to dive safely under sometimes rigorous and trying conditions.

Here is what DAN has to say about diving with active hyperthyroidism:

DAN Divers Alert Network

There of course also is the issue of what, if any, treatment the affected diver may be undergoing for Grave's disease (this is not mentioned in the post). Medications may be prescribed and can include steroids and beta-blockers to control ophthalmic and cardiac symptoms, respectively, or antithyroid agents like methimazole and propylthiouracil. When used, the implications of these drugs for SCUBA must be assessed.

The hyperthyroid individual who is without any of the above discussed symptoms or signs, and who is undergoing no treatment for the diagnosed condition, probably is safe to dive. Persons manifesting clinically meaningful with signs or symptoms of, or undergoing treatment for, Grave’s disease would be prudent to seek clearance by a qualified endocrinologist.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.
I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and just started medication. what you said about heart rate,nitrox, etc. made sense. Once my levels are normal I will speak to my Endocrinologist.
thank you

Back
Top Bottom