Grand Turk Trip Report - 5/19/06 - 5/26/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Overall:
Fantastic trip. Would love to go again! Good diving, with great service from DM’s. Great room. Will visit again (soon hopefully).

Diving:
Diving was good. Lots of Grouper, several nurse sharks, lots of turtles. Many small creatures too. Coral was good. Walls were great – not Little Caymen, but close. Water temp 81 on all dives. Visibility was good 50 to 70 ft. Eight minutes or less boat trip to all dive sites. Two night dives were great (did not see octopus though).
20-May-06 The Tunnels 94 for 62
20-May-06 Chief Minister 61 for 64
21-May-06 McDonalds 82 for 64
21-May-06 Coral Canyon 81 for 69
21-May-06 Amphitheater 72 for 72
22-May-06 Rolling Hills 92 for 65
22-May-06 Anchor
22-May-06 Finibar 71 for 69
23-May-06 Black Forest 100 for 59
23-May-06 Annex 76 for 68
23-May-06 Library 67 for 79
24-May-06 Gorgoniun Wall 102 for 69
24-May-06 Austin's Reef 63 for 69
24-May-06 Alien Nation 87 for 68
25-May-06 Aquarium 131 for 57
25-May-06 McDonald's 68 for 73
25-May-06 Coral Gardens 78 for 65
25-May-06 Finbars 65 for 73

Dive Op:
Oasis Divers - www.oasisdivers.com – Top notch! Very relaxed atmosphere, but get things done and organized. Dale set us up and was clearly focused on customer service – in a “laid back” way. DM’s were Mackie and Emmanuelle (sp?). Both were exceptional! They set up all our gear after the first dive and stored it at night. They made sure that we did not repeat too many sites. They kept us laughing and were focused on making sure we were having a great trip. Could not ask for more. Highly recommend this operator.
**** Note: if you dive with Mackie, the best way to keep up with him on a dive is to remove your fins :wink:

Hotel:
Osprey Beach Hotel www.ospreybeachhotel.com – Very nice. Christy was very helpful in getting us set up and checked out. The room we had was fantastic. Recently redone, with all new bathroom fixtures and bedroom furniture. Cable TV, but not necessary with the amazing view from the second story balcony. Make sure to ask for one of the newly renovated rooms as I heard the old rooms are not great. Also, the first floor rooms don’t have the same view as the bushes are tall and do not allow a direct view of the ocean.

Good report. I was there one week before you at the Osprey and dove with Mackey also. I told him on one dive that he should never wear fins because he never uses them. He is one laid back, relaxed diver. Dale was very helpful for me as well. Funny thing, when I took a spill getting out of the boat one day I dropped my perscription glasses in the water. When I came back 45 minutes later to look for them Dale had some of the guys help me look for my lost glasses, you know how expensive they are. Emanuel found them in the water within 3 mintues. I was so shocked and thankful that I gave him such a hug, and a ten :).

Gar:
Overall:
Fantastic trip. Would love to go again! Good diving, with great service from DM’s. Great room. Will visit again (soon hopefully).

Diving:
Diving was good. Lots of Grouper, several nurse sharks, lots of turtles. Many small creatures too. Coral was good. Walls were great – not Little Caymen, but close. Water temp 81 on all dives. Visibility was good 50 to 70 ft. Eight minutes or less boat trip to all dive sites. Two night dives were great (did not see octopus though).
20-May-06 The Tunnels 94 for 62
20-May-06 Chief Minister 61 for 64
21-May-06 McDonalds 82 for 64
21-May-06 Coral Canyon 81 for 69
21-May-06 Amphitheater 72 for 72
22-May-06 Rolling Hills 92 for 65
22-May-06 Anchor
22-May-06 Finibar 71 for 69
23-May-06 Black Forest 100 for 59
23-May-06 Annex 76 for 68
23-May-06 Library 67 for 79
24-May-06 Gorgoniun Wall 102 for 69
24-May-06 Austin's Reef 63 for 69
24-May-06 Alien Nation 87 for 68
25-May-06 Aquarium 131 for 57
25-May-06 McDonald's 68 for 73
25-May-06 Coral Gardens 78 for 65
25-May-06 Finbars 65 for 73

Dive Op:
Oasis Divers - www.oasisdivers.com – Top notch! Very relaxed atmosphere, but get things done and organized. Dale set us up and was clearly focused on customer service – in a “laid back” way. DM’s were Mackie and Emmanuelle (sp?). Both were exceptional! They set up all our gear after the first dive and stored it at night. They made sure that we did not repeat too many sites. They kept us laughing and were focused on making sure we were having a great trip. Could not ask for more. Highly recommend this operator.
**** Note: if you dive with Mackie, the best way to keep up with him on a dive is to remove your fins :wink:

Hotel:
Osprey Beach Hotel www.ospreybeachhotel.com – Very nice. Christy was very helpful in getting us set up and checked out. The room we had was fantastic. Recently redone, with all new bathroom fixtures and bedroom furniture. Cable TV, but not necessary with the amazing view from the second story balcony. Make sure to ask for one of the newly renovated rooms as I heard the old rooms are not great. Also, the first floor rooms don’t have the same view as the bushes are tall and do not allow a direct view of the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom