Grand Turk - Shore Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likes2Cruise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Gang,

I'll be hitting Grand Turk on a cruise at the end of April. Our arrival time is 1pm so would even miss most afternoon boat dives and the ship dive is way too much. That along with the fact that my wife has been having issues lately with boat dives means we are looking for a shore dive.

I see in searched that "Governors Beach" is a good location for a shore dive.

What I need to know is if there is any dive shop near by that has tank and weight rentals.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

ill be there the end of April myself. What day will you be there and aboard what ship? We are coming in on Carnival Valor.

Just got back from there, there is a dive shop just up the beach from the pier to the left. Oasis Divers 1-800-892-3995 oasisdivers.com. Good time water is nearly invisible.

I put a few pictures from Grand Turk with a really cheap underwater camera on facebook at Clearspring Divers if interested.

Just got back from there, there is a dive shop just up the beach from the pier to the left. Oasis Divers 1-800-892-3995 oasisdivers.com. Good time water is nearly invisible.

I took a walk down to them to ask about rates - the asked if I was on one of the ships, I said 'yes'. They told me to book through the cruise line.

Guess they are contracted to the cruise line. Wouldn't even tell me their price for a boat dive.

Overall, I was under-impressed with Grand Turk. It just seems to be a Cruise Ship 'Private' port.

Yeah Grand Turk is more of a cruise ship port and thats about it. Oasis is contracted with Carnival and at least one other cruise line ( I think RCCL) so if you tell them your on a ship they will not book a tour with you as it would breach their contract. Tell them no next time :wink:
I had to book my dive with my cruise line. We dove at a location a couple hundred yards off shore...it was amazing! We were between 35-50' the entire dive and seen lots of really neat marine life.

Grand Turk hasn't always been just a cruise ship port, that is a somewhat recent thing (2006?) Used to be there were a few small hotels and dive ops and people went there to dive (and get away from it all.) I assume these places are still there though I don't know about the logistics of using them when on a cruise.

(I've only been to T&C once, but dove Grand Turk, South Caicos, and Salt Cay from a liveaboard, and West Caicos from day boats, all on one trip. I have to say Grand Turk was my least favorite diving of those.)

I dont have a ton of dives to compare Grand Turk to but I really liked it out there. We dove a spot known as "Chief Mininster"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom