grand turk or salt cay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dived Grand Turk with Mitch a few years ago over Xmas & yes it was cold - one dive Mitch was wearing a combined total of 17 mm on his torso.

Make sure you check out the Nookie Hill Club on Grand Turk.

i've heard really great thing about smitty too. i hear both are fantastic dive ops. we'll stay put on this trip. i agree that the french cay, west caicos area is probably best done on a live-aboard (the turks and caicos explorer was another consideration for this trip--but, decided we wanted to stay on land). i'm really glad you brought up the water temperature. do you think a 7mm will be heavy enough--yeah, mid-december trip)? my girlfriend did a 5mm in bonaire this summer? i'd really prefer not to do a hood if i can get away with it. thank you so much for all your responses. i have to say the water temperature issue makes me at least think about little cayman (did cayman brac last december and dove in a long sleeve jacket shortie).

7mm should be enough, but I'm taking the Thermoprene explorer just in case. If topside is cool it might get chilly. Last year one day was too windy in SC to dive and one day on Provo was rough, rainy and windy- good to learn to dive in those conditions. Otherwise 13/15 days of great weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

if it was me id stay in Provo !!!! great diving!!! lots of sharks and great fun!!! more to see and more choices on the island!!!

Dude you work for a dive shop on Provo!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We dived with Oasis Divers and stayed at Island House - each room comes with a vehicle. Granted that Grand Turk is not all that massive, but I still liked tooling all over the island. Colin didn't room for us for the last three days so we stayed at the Salt Raker Inn which was ok. Colin let me use the truck gratis for the three days we spent there which I thought was pretty damn cool.

thank you both--mike and tom. i really appreciate the help. i'll look at island house--and will plan on taking a 7mm. i really appreciate everyone's help. can't wait til december.....

I am a "warm water whimp" so I would go someplace else in December and plan a TCI trip for a warmer time of year, but that's just me!

If you are down there when we are say hi, we are easily identifiable by our son. You don't see too many 12yr old Jr AOW divers, or any junior divers in our limited experience. 3 months 2 days for us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom