Grand Turk or Provo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petermichelle

Sporadic Member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does the diving differ between Provo and Grand Turk? Grand Turk looks so wonderfully quiet and away from the crowds. But its all about the diving for us. Is the diving as good in both locations? I heard the dives are deep at Turks and Caicos. Is this true? Any insights?

Re: "I heard the dives are deep at Turks and Caicos. Is this true? Any insights?"
Just returned from Provo. I concur that the dives are deep, but not extremely. First dives in the a.m. were 80' max, and second dives were approx 50'.
The walls there go down 7,000 feet, believe it or not, so you may find some deeper dives if you want them. If you want shallower dives, I suspect you'll need to make a special request.

There at dives at all levels. Check YouTube for a bunch of the Provo dives. I like the relaxed vibe on Provo. If you decide to go there feel free to pm me and I can pass along recommendations for food and other activities. There are a number of respected dive operators on the island.

Just returned from Grand Turk diving with Blue Water Divers and it was spectacular! BWD is a great dive op and I highly recommend them. Very professional and small groups. The diving was very good and the fish were teeming. Grand Turk is the most laid back place I've ever been -- a place to chill and get away from it all.

What was the litter and garbage situation there? I read another review on another board that said there was lots of litter, on the roads, the beach, in the water.
Also, any great snorkeling that you found?
And may I ask, what about currents? How was the current situation while you were there?

If you want quiet, try Salt Cay just south of Grand Turk. We have been there twice fine reef diving. Depths are what you want average would 60 feet. That said there are some nice dive sites around Grand Turk.

What was the litter and garbage situation there? I read another review on another board that said there was lots of litter, on the roads, the beach, in the water.
Also, any great snorkeling that you found?
And may I ask, what about currents? How was the current situation while you were there?

We did not see litter. This is backwater Caribbean so is it immaculate and groomed? No. But neither did we find garbage. Watch out for donkey poop though -- wild donkeys abound!

We didn't snorkel but others went out to the reef and had pretty good snorkeling. All the reefs are in 20-30 feet of water at least though so vis won't be stellar for snorkel. We had one guy go out from our beach and he had a good snorkel 30 feet offshore.

No current really. Slight current guides your return back to the boat. We loved it! We didn't go to Salt Cay as we found that Grand Turk was plenty quiet enough!

Grand Turks dive sites are relatively close.....5-15 minute boat rides.
Dive Sites - Grand Turk Diving

Provo has some very good reefs but they are much further. NW Point, West Caicos, and French Key are all 45-60 minute rides.
Provo Turtle Divers - Dive Sites

I have been to Provo and if you have kids, Beaches is the best family resort in the world. I think Grand Turk is in my future dive plans for sure.

BTW I would say Turks and Caicos is some of the best diving in the Caribbean.

Grand Turks dive sites are relatively close.....5-15 minute boat rides.
Dive Sites - Grand Turk Diving

Provo has some very good reefs but they are much further. NW Point, West Caicos, and French Key are all 45-60 minute rides.
Provo Turtle Divers - Dive Sites

I have been to Provo and if you have kids, Beaches is the best family resort in the world. I think Grand Turk is in my future dive plans for sure.

BTW I would say Turks and Caicos is some of the best diving in the Caribbean.

A 45-60 minute boat ride reduces our bottom time! As one of the divers we were with on Grand Turk put it. People go to Provo for a vacation with some diving. People go to Grand Turk to dive with some vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom