Grand Turk is Dead - Long Live Grand Turk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We heard that the current government of GT inherited the cruise ship deal from the previous government and they couldn't get out of it.

We stayed at Island House in GT. It doesn't have a restaurant so you have to go into town for everything. For that reason they loan everyone a truck to drive. It was a nice, quiet place to stay but we did have a mouse problem in our ground floor room. We wished we had stayed at Osprey since it was so close to everything. Osprey is in a perfect location right on the beach, and also has a great restaurant, within walking distance of Oasis. Two nights a week (Wed/Sun) Osprey has a BBQ with entertainment where they serve the BEST BBQ ribs I've ever had (normally I prefer seafood). Also across the street from Osprey is the Courtyard Cafe (you can charge your food to your room if you stay at Osprey). We ate breakfast there each day, and sometimes lunch, too. Excellent food!

Oasis Dive Shop was excellent. We dove with Mackey most days and really enjoyed his wonderful laid-back style. We also dove once with Tim, who moonlights as a bartender at Osprey. (Our local dive shop owner told us just yesterday that Tim used to be a lawyer who gave it all up to live and play in GT.) Dale is the manager of the place and she made all our arrangements, and everything went perfectly. Everyone there at Oasis was great to work with, whether it was the gift shop people or the helping hands at the dive shop. It all just seemed so easy and effortless for us in the dive shop, on the boat, or under water. Two dives that can't be missed are the Black Forest and Coral Gardens (where there's a very friendly Grouper). You're really going to enjoy it, PilotFish! The water was on the cold side, ranging from 74 -77 degrees so be sure to take appropriate wet suits. By May though it should be warmer.

That info is extremely helpful, Amy. Thanks. I am at Osprey and diving with Oasis so that confirms we made a good choice. I made note of those two dive sites you mentioned. Was wondering which suit to take with me in May, 1 mil full or 3 mil full?

Thanks again

Amy WJ:
We heard that the current government of GT inherited the cruise ship deal from the previous government and they couldn't get out of it.

We stayed at Island House in GT. It doesn't have a restaurant so you have to go into town for everything. For that reason they loan everyone a truck to drive. It was a nice, quiet place to stay but we did have a mouse problem in our ground floor room. We wished we had stayed at Osprey since it was so close to everything. Osprey is in a perfect location right on the beach, and also has a great restaurant, within walking distance of Oasis. Two nights a week (Wed/Sun) Osprey has a BBQ with entertainment where they serve the BEST BBQ ribs I've ever had (normally I prefer seafood). Also across the street from Osprey is the Courtyard Cafe (you can charge your food to your room if you stay at Osprey). We ate breakfast there each day, and sometimes lunch, too. Excellent food!

Oasis Dive Shop was excellent. We dove with Mackey most days and really enjoyed his wonderful laid-back style. We also dove once with Tim, who moonlights as a bartender at Osprey. (Our local dive shop owner told us just yesterday that Tim used to be a lawyer who gave it all up to live and play in GT.) Dale is the manager of the place and she made all our arrangements, and everything went perfectly. Everyone there at Oasis was great to work with, whether it was the gift shop people or the helping hands at the dive shop. It all just seemed so easy and effortless for us in the dive shop, on the boat, or under water. Two dives that can't be missed are the Black Forest and Coral Gardens (where there's a very friendly Grouper). You're really going to enjoy it, PilotFish! The water was on the cold side, ranging from 74 -77 degrees so be sure to take appropriate wet suits. By May though it should be warmer.

1 mil should be enough in May water temp should be over 80.

Mike

Mmm - reality check. Politicians, local bar owners and some dive operators are cashing in. The latter see new boats for new tourists as justification for the three dive sites taken for the new pier - no complaints there and no reef survey to assess any damage.

As for the island. Carnival are insisting on CCTV for the island, the donkeys and horses are all being sent to Haiti (how long will they last) and the wild dogs will be destroyed. Culture cleansing so the place fits sanitised disneyland Caribbean requirements.

Oh - and the initial economic impact assessment, commissioned by Carnival themselves, reckoned the island would earn more money with an extra 100 hotel rooms.

I've been to Grand Turk about 5 times within the last 6 months and am going again at the end of April. Always at at Mantahouse with Tonya and Katya and usually dive with Sea Eye or Oasis. They are both great. Smitty is awesome with Sea Eye and everyone at Oasis is great..Tyro, Tim, Phil, Mackey ..Dale... You can't go wrong. I would def stay at Manta, Osprey or Saltraker as it is right in the middle of all the "action" on Front Street.

mikerault:
Haven't heard. The entire Southern tip has been taken over by the borg.

Mike
I take offense at that comment. They aren't 'Borg, they are Pod People, or "podders" as my kids call them. The Borg would never take a cruise, well I mean they might assimilate them, but they would never go on a cruise.

Ok... I give... what's with the "Pod" People. I must resemble that... since I will arrive in May on a Carnival Cruise ship and do a 2 tank dive. :)

"...Tell that to someone who can't feed their children or send them to a decent school... "

Or, you could tell them not to have kids that they cannot afford to feed. But that hasn't worked too well anywhere else...even in Orlando. It can't get any better than Orlando can it?

JoeyFla:
Ok... I give... what's with the "Pod" People. I must resemble that... since I will arrive in May on a Carnival Cruise ship and do a 2 tank dive. :)

They are just jealous. My very first ocean dive was as a Pod person. I wouldn't lug my gear on a cruise ship anymore, but only because when I go on a dive trip I want toi dive many times every day, and the cruise ship is just a different type of vacation. I hope you have a great time, and will take the time away from setting up my gear for another plunge to wave to your ship as it sails off to your next port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom