Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anje77o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys, I'm interested in doing two dives coming off a Carnival Cruise. One will be the Stingray City dive. Can anyone please suggest another great dive spot? And are their dive operators that will do Stingray and another on the same trip? Any dive operator suggestions? Is Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto worth it or are there better dive spots? Is Little Cayman a better diving spot and if so, will I have enough time to get there and back to the boat after doing Stingray City. Ship arrives at 7am and departs at 4pm. Any tips/advise would be appreciated. Thank you!

First of all turn your plans around. Most dive operators do the SRC dive in the afternoon after doing 2 tanks in the morning. Takes about 20 mins. to the dock on the Sound from the port (most have a shuttle) under 1/2 hr. for the ride out plus it's a fixed 45min. dive. So you're easily back by 3PM or sooner. Any of the operators working the cruise trade know the timing to get you back better than you do - they deal with it every single day.

Little Cayman is out of the question on your time frame. It's only a short flight but the logistics of that would be impossible with the flight schedules - you couldn't arrive soon enough for the morning boats and you couldn't get back in time from an afternoon boat to fly back to GC for your sailing - much less adding in SRC. They want you checked in an hour b4 the flight and the cut-off is 30mins. before. I'm not positive but I think they pressurize the plane also so no-fly rules would apply. It's not even realistic to try.

Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto is an unspectacular dive that happens to be 500' from the cruise port. Unless the silversides are in in Summer. Then the Grotto is pretty great. IMO it's the worst dive we did on Cayman all week. Decades of cruisers haven't done it a lot of good.

Many of the dive operators do 2 tanks in the morning then SRC in the early afternoon.Reliably most will take you to the best site they can reach weather permitting. Typically they'll do a deep wall dive then a shallower 2nd - often that depends on the make-up of the divers on the boat. Since there can be 4-5 cruise ships in port daily, that's hard to predict.

Foster's is the Carnival Cruise operator. Their contract requires you book thru the ship. Located slightly south of Georgetown they have a shuttle for their cruise pax. Don Foster's Dive Grand Cayman

There's also 3 dive operations working near the Lobster Pot dock/operation - Lobster Pot Dive Center - Grand Cayman Until this most recent website re-design they had a cruise diver section - IDK why they don't now. It's a few minutes walk north of the port.

I've recommended Wall to Wall based on knowing the owner slightly. Deep Blue also gets good recommendations. You can walk over and with a 7AM port time there shouldn't be any problem getting on their morning boats. The other option in that area is Off the Wall Divers. Any of them are 8 divers max/boat - not so with Fosters. Everyone on Cayman provides a DM per 8 divers - it's the CITA rule.

Cruisedivers is another option - they offer the 2 tank plus SRC returning at 3pm. Also walking distance north of the port.

Pre-book whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
You cannot dive Little Cayman from a cruise ship. Cruise ships only go to Grand Cayman.

As a newer diver, I would recommend you go with the cruise ship op. We did it last year (and we aren't beginners) and it was fine. Many newbies on the boat, dives were easy. I have videos of both dives we did. They were good, not great.

Thank you for the speedy response. I will definitely be booking with one of the suggested operators. Good to know I shouldn't waste my time with Eden/Grotto.

Don't dive for sting ray city. It's shallow enough where you can easily snorkel. Plus the rays will be more likely to hang around without the sound and distraction of scuba equipment.

I respectfully disagree. If you do the dive, you get 45minutes in water - if the diveop rations the squid they'll stay the whole time - but once they figure out it's gone though so are they - on to the next boat. We probably had a dozen all to ourselves for most of that time - they'll be waiting below the boat once you moor.

The snorkel at Sandbar is an absolute zoo, you and 500 of your fellow cruisers all standing around in 4' of water.

I didn't notice the several rays that mugged me having any hesitation because I was blowing bubbles. A bigger challenge is trying not to get bit. (it's technically a sharp suck between mouth plates) since that's how they get you to drop the squid.

Although a snorkel off a dive boat is also an option - a family on our boat did that, Mom/Dad dove, kids snorkeled down.

We did the SC dive last Dec., it was great. As diversteve says, you'll easily get 45min bottom time and the rays are not in the slightest bit put off by your bubbles... you'll get swarmed (see my avatar or wife below), if you want the interaction... if not don't hold any squid :)

danibigmouth.JPG

I did the Manta Ray Night Dive on the Big Island, sounds very similar to the SRC dive but deeper, definitely doing it over snorkeling. =)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom