Grand Cayman Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BARdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Heading to Grand Cayman with a group of friends next April. We have a couple non-divers going also, so need ideas of things for them to do and things for the group to do with the non-divers. Do we need to rent a car? Public transportation OK? We will be staying at Sunset House.

You will need to rent a car or use taxi. Things to do while not diving ... shop, spend a day seeing the sights, laying by the pool (no beach at Sunset house), go to the turtle farm, eat some good food. We've been going to GC for 20 years. If I were not a diver I don't think I'd go unless I were staying on 7 Mile Beach.

Cayman Islands Activities | Cayman Islands Vacation, Cayman | Cayman Islands

They have a bus system that runs about half the island. If you are boat diving and staying at sunset house, the non- divers can spend the day shopping in George Towne. The last time we went, I rented a car and it was well worth it. I think it was just over 200 US for the week including the license. The car will allow you to get to the outer parts of the island, the botanical gardens, Bodden Towne, and Rum Pointe.
one thing to consider is shore diving with sunset diver's, directly across from the turtle farm. The diving was the best we had on the island, tanks and weights were 15 US and turtle reef is a great site in 60 ft of water. The non- divers could spend the day at the turtle farm, which is a popular attraction. I think sunset house also has a popular shore diving site.
if you are a large group, dining out will be your big expense. We stayed at Sunshine Suites at the end of seven mile, but they gave you free breakfast each morning and you were able to cook meals or take your lunch to eat between dives. The hotel is not on the beach, but directly across the street with a short walk to the beach via a path. The Cayman's do not allow private beaches, so you can have access to any part on seven mile, not just the public beaches.
i have been three times, and planning on returning, but like above, I fully agree that if you are not a diver it is a one and done island.

You can walk downtown from Sunset House. For other areas, I wouldn't waste vacation time trying to use the buses to get around. Get the non-divers a car (assuming one of them is ok with driving on the left) or figure on using taxis. Taxis may be ok for heading to the 7 mile beach area but to explore other parts of the island a car makes more sense and is of course much more flexible.

The shop by Turtle Reef is Sun Divers. Even though you'll presumably have a package with unlimited shore diving at Sunset House, I think the diving at Turtle Reef is better/nice enough to go out of your way to head up there sometime. Send the non divers to the turtle farm while you do a couple dives, then meet back up at the Cracked Conch to eat.

Get a car as they can be had pretty cheap-but they are also pretty small. The island is a lot of fun to explore and there are tons of things that non-divers can do. If they fly fish, they can have a blast and no fishing license required. Or, look for the snorkel guide as even if they don't snorkel, the places where they do are pretty cool. The Macabuca bar is a great place to kill time, get your drank on, and watch divers. They have a very good BBQ buffet on Monday night too.

Rent a car. Trip around island is nice. Stingray City great. Feeding tarpon at seaside restaurant....Seeing Hell....Blue Iguana preserve. Turtle hatchery. Couple days worth of stuff to do....obviously scuba and snorkel is primary.

Heading to Grand Cayman with a group of friends next April. We have a couple non-divers going also, so need ideas of things for them to do and things for the group to do with the non-divers. Do we need to rent a car? Public transportation OK? We will be staying at Sunset House.

I'm interested that some divers above have recommended the Turtle Farm for visitors. It's more of a turtle prison than farm and they sell turtle meat and shells at the exit. One can argue pluses and minuses for the Turtle Farm but certainly, you need to think about the implications of the place before recommending. The captive dolphin programs are even worse in my opinion.

The beauty of GC is the water so I always recommend snorkelling, Stingray City and mangrove kayaking to my non diving friends.

Taxis on GC are expensive, rental cars are reasonable. A day trip around the island with stops at Bodden Town, Blow Hole, East End, Rum Point, Queen Elizabeth Gardens, Pedro's Castle and other sites is fun as well. There are a couple of good Jerk Stands in Bodden Town to have a snack or meal and get a taste of the real GC.

Check out this link for more info. on the Turtle Farm. One section states:

The Farm sells turtle meat to local restaurants and individuals, which removes the incentive to poach turtles from the ocean. The farm also participates in research that benefits the understanding and care of turtles in the wild as well as in captivity; over 100 of those research papers have been published or presented. In addition each year the farm releases captive-bred turtles to help replenish the wild population, and female turtles released over two decades ago are now coming back to nest on Cayman’s beaches.

Most of us eat meat, and that usually entails some degree of 'mass production.' Even some who try to avoid meat wear leather, an animal product, and even those who somehow avoid either take up space with their homes, etc..., and thus contribute to habitat destruction.

On the other hand, commercializing a species for profit can encourage conservation. Some years back I read that this had been a benefit to the salt water crocodiles of Australia.

I'm not weighing in on the conditions and suitability of the Grand Cayman Turtle Farm; just pointing out that it's not like they're poaching wild turtles, and they may be doing some good.

Richard.

They are promoting a market for what is already an endangered species. I agree with you rich, it's a matter of degree.

Back
Top Bottom