Grand Cayman Trip Report (Warning Very Long, but detailed)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice report...makes me wanna go back!! I knew you'd like Snapper Hole...who wouldn't?

When we went thru MIA airport, we thought is was a total joke. Nobody seemed to know (or care) how the heck the place is supposed to run. All the pilots must have to have senses of humor to get through that nightmare of an airport because our pilot was cracking jokes as we sat on the tarmac (for about 45 minutes). We landed about 1/2 hour early in addition to having booked a 1-1/2 hr lay over, and if our connecting flight hadn't been late too, we'd have missed it.

I just kept remembering the last presidential election fiasco and thinking ,"OK, now I see how they made such a mess of it. That's just how they do things here in Miami"

Anyhows, sounds like you had fun. When we goin' back?.. :wink:

Scubagirlmaui once bubbled...

That was a great trip report! We will be in GC the first part of Oct. We haven't made dive reservations yet, so we might try Ocean Frontiers. It certainly would be convenient, as we are staying at Morritts Tortuga. We will be there for 2 weeks, so will have time to try almost everything (sort of).

SGM, why don't you dive with Drew at Tortugas? :confused:

Scubatooth,

Next time, you really should try and meet up with both Drew and Casey. I met both of them while in GC in April. Both very nice people, great to talk to, and I'm sure can give you the lowdown on everything GC. :)

We have never been there so we were not sure who to go with. But after reading more of these messages, we decided we were definately going with Tortuga. I'm looking forward to meeting Drew.

Lots of great info there, scubatooth! :thumb:

However, one comment. If a diver misbehaves in the water, why is that the INSTRUCTOR'S fault? Did we take their hand and lead them down onto the reef? Or tell them that it's ok to harm coral? Of course not!

We cannot control a diver once they finish their course. So please put the "blame" where it belongs: on the DIVERS.

Sorry for the rant, but I am really getting tired of the idea that if someone does something dumb underwater then their Instructor is responsible for it.

~SubMariner~

SubMariner once bubbled...
Lots of great info there, scubatooth! :thumb:

However, one comment. If a diver misbehaves in the water, why is that the INSTRUCTOR'S fault? Did we take their hand and lead them down onto the reef? Or tell them that it's ok to harm coral? Of course not!

We cannot control a diver once they finish their course. So please put the "blame" where it belongs: on the DIVERS.

Sorry for the rant, but I am really getting tired of the idea that if someone does something dumb underwater then their Instructor is responsible for it.

~SubMariner~

sorry for the gross generalization but this guy had no bouyancy control at all he just literally crawled over the reef while taking pictures, and had been warned to stay off the reef on the previous dive. Bouyancy control should be a item that should be drilled and perfected in OW so that the reefs are torn up left and right, because i want my kids kids to see the same beauty in a reef that i did

I used Tortuga Divers last November and thought they were pretty good- mostly guys from the UK I recollect. Good to be able to get some breakfast and then trundle down to the boat....

Bouyancy control should be a item that should be drilled and perfected in OW so that the reefs are torn up left and right, because i want my kids kids to see the same beauty in a reef that i did

What makes you think these people didn't develop their "bad habits" AFTER they finished their course? Again, you are generalizing.

On a driving test people ALWAYS perform perfectly. They come to a complete stop at stop signs. Use their signal indicators. Etc., etc., etc.

But AFTER the driving exam SOME people become lazy or sloppy or downright DANGEROUS when they drive. Does that mean that they weren't taught how to drive properly in the first place?

Unless you were THERE watching them learn to drive, you simply don't KNOW.

Same thing with diving. Unless you were THERE watching them learn to scuba.... :question:

Again, sorry to dwell on this, but you are still blaming Instructors for things that we have no control over.

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom