Grand Cayman Snorkel areas for a family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iwantsnow

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good Day All!
I was wondering the best spots to snorkel from shore around Grand Cayman other then 7 mile beach?
I have a family of 5 and 4 snorkeled the island of St.John from the east end to Waterlemon Cay and beyond. I have been all over the 7 mile beach area years ago. The kids are not ready for scuba as of yet but soon. We are staying on the North side and I was wondering if there are any good spots for sea life and coral on the north or east end.
Second question looking for a low key place to have a cold one and a burger or fish on the north or east side?
Thanks to all.
Richard

Snorkelling: go under the dock at Morritts Tortuga Club. Tons of marine life, close to shore, and water shallow enough to stand up in. Perfect for kids.

Cold Ones, etc.: try Over the Edge on the N Side.

Having been there, this is what I can recommend, Stingray City.

It's easy, fun, quite the experience. There's a snorkel portion, then a meet & greet on the sandbar with the stingrays.

Pucker up your lips!

We did it with Dexter's Fantasea - I recommend it in a heartbeat.
www.dexters-fantaseatours.com

We stayed at Turtle Nest Inn - facing South in the heart of Boddentown. There's a public beach there too, easy for snorkeling. Stay away from excavated canal areas, as you get a current there.

Kaibo,

---------- Post added April 13th, 2012 at 03:00 AM ----------

Rhum point (or is it rum!)

---------- Post added April 13th, 2012 at 03:02 AM ----------

Tedusto is a scuba board member that does not scuba. Find his website for some great snorkels.....

Good snorkeling at Anchor Point. Go on Google Earth & the spot is marked "Testudo's Sulphar Vents" or something like that. As Alex says go to Over the Edge formerly Apollo 11 in Old Man Bay for food. Also in Old Man Bay the North Coast Bar formerly Nicho Norte formerly The Barn for beers.

Next door to Morritt's, the snorkeling in front of the Reef resort was pretty good and possibly less crowded (if you hit Morritt's at the wrong time there can be hordes of people snorkeling around that dock.) Lots more grass than coral heads inside the fringing reef there, but lots of little stuff in the grass. Also saw stingrays, turtles, and reef squid.

Thanks for the info. We are doing Sting Ray City, the wife and I did that the last time we were down there. We are staying not to far from Old Man Bay near Chisholms Grocery Store. That might be a good idea over at Morritts bring fins and mask and grab lunch while the kids seak a little adventure on their own while in view. Good Idea. Heading down in 2nd week in June hopefully it stays low key.
Thanks again
Rich

---------- Post added April 13th, 2012 at 12:30 PM ----------

I like Testudo's web site. Thanks for the link.
Rich

I'm confused over the OP's handle.

I Want Snow ???

Or you have pending personal wants that need to be addressed immediately?

:D

IWantsNow -> post how much it's costing for the room you're getting, or point to the website. Looking at alternatives for next year, though I suspect Rum Point will win.

Thanks for the info. We are doing Sting Ray City, the wife and I did that the last time we were down there. We are staying not to far from Old Man Bay near Chisholms Grocery Store. That might be a good idea over at Morritts bring fins and mask and grab lunch while the kids seak a little adventure on their own while in view. Good Idea. Heading down in 2nd week in June hopefully it stays low key.
Thanks again
Rich

---------- Post added April 13th, 2012 at 12:30 PM ----------

I like Testudo's web site. Thanks for the link.
Rich

I was staying over on the northside by chisholms grocery just last weekend. Snorkeled right off the beach at the house, water was dead calm (unusual) saw lionfish and lobster soon as my mask hit the water 3 feet from shore. Some nice coral heads and lots of grass... Still had a nice hour long snorkel. Back on 7mile beach this week. Snorkeling off georgetown villas, saw awesome squid soon as my mask hit the water, love how they come so close and circle you like aliens, or maybe we are the aliens to them... :) Beautiful yellow fans, parrotfish, blue angels, and large groupings of fish.

Dove the Kittiwake site yesterday, nice wreck dive. Though I saw more fish on my snorkel mentioned above. This will change as the Kittiwake builds up more growth and inhabitants over the years. Will dive it again in another year.

Check out Grand Cayman snorkeling guide, Cayman Islands and have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom