Grand Cayman review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IanH

Registered
Reaction score
I've just come back from 10 days in Grand Cayman. These are my opinions, they are just that, opinions.

After a researching ScubaBoard I chose DiverTech. I certainly did not regret this choice; very professional with a relaxed attitude. They seemed to attract a lot of like-minded divers; experienced, relaxed and great sense of humour.

The diving was good, perhaps not the visibility I expected (it was good though) and I missed out on Hammerheads but nevertheless it was very enjoyable. I especially enjoyed Orange Canyon and Devil’s Grotto (the Silversides were in the dive thoughs and made for some spectacular pictures).

I decided to add a strobe to my camera set up while I was there and found Cathy Church very helpful and, as you would expect, very knowledgeable. I only wish I could have spared the time for a course.

Grand Cayman it self was a bit of a disappointment. It felt more like Florida than the Caribbean . I know I’m going to get flamed for this, but please remember I said these are my opinions.

Here are some examples of my evidence :

Burger King, Wendy’s, KFC, Pizza Hut, etc.
All the local radio stations sound like they do in the states
No local TV
Virtual absence of local culture

Now, if you want fast efficient service, air conditioning everywhere, powerful showers and the choice of about 10 American beers at every restaurant then it’s a great place. It really is.

For my family, and me part of the attraction of going abroad for a holiday is that we like to experience other cultures. I’m sure it exists in Grand Cayman but it is overpowered by USA culture.

One last thing, before anyone accuses me of being anti-American, I am not. It is true I am British but like most Brits I have a natural affinity with Americans, accepting that there are good and bad in all. I visit the States at least once a year and have very close friends in the US military.

Try getting over to the sister islands next time.

Tim Ingersoll:
Try getting over to the sister islands next time.

Thanks, Tim

We nearly did, but I have teenage daughters and my wife felt it would have been too boring for them in the evening !

Are they more traditionally Caribbean ?

Ian

It is what it is. The sister islands are more laid back, I wouldn't say they have that much more in the way of "Carribean culture" but I suppose there's a little more flavor of what you might have expected. Pretty much the same can be said of the more remote areas of Grand Cayman like East End and Rum Point though, basically anyplace but Georgetown and 7MB. It's true Cayman doesn't feel much different than the US, but I think a lot is because of a overall high standard of living and English being the language. It's not just the existence of fast food places that makes a difference - Curacao has most of those downtown but they don't in the least make it feel "American." Part of it's the architecture - I'd say the existance of all those strip malls along 7MB makes it feel US-like.

So what's your definition of "traditional Carribean" - slow service, no AC, and bad showers? :)

Damselfish:
So what's your definition of "traditional Carribean" - slow service, no AC, and bad showers? :)

Mine would be someone asking if you need a taxi every ten steps or so... :wink:

Glad you had such a good experience over there. Yes, the silversides make great photo ops, don't they?

If you go again, try the East End of the island.... very different and the diving is IMHO much better than other places on the island.

Also, try the sister islands next time. A bit more of local flavor since they are much less developed. But you are dead on on your comments, while it is nice to have all the conveniences of 'home', I appreciate the chance to get to know a different culture. But Cayman is what it is because so many of us keep coming back :)

Maria

Damselfish:
So what's your definition of "traditional Caribbean" - slow service, no AC, and bad showers? :)

Tee Hee !!!! I’d be missing my own point if I said yes. For example, traditional carribean service isn’t slow, it’s the whole way of life that has a slower pace with different prorities. Its not worse service, its just different service, more relaxed.

I suppose my point is that I like to experience as many of the differences in culture when I go abroad, rather than it be home from home. Of course I’m only kidding my self, I’m a tourist and at the end of my holiday I go home. But maybe I will have picked up a bit of an appreciation about how other people live their lives.

Stivo:
Mine would be someone asking if you need a taxi every ten steps or so...)

I know what you mean. I walked 4 miles (because I wanted too !!) to hire a car and must have been asked 10 times if I wanted a taxi. Still you can’t blame them for wanting to earn a living. If you think they are persistent try sunbathing on a beach in Mombassa, Kenya. I guarantee you’ll buy at least one carved animal !!!!

sharkdiver00:
If you go again, try the East End of the island.... Also, try the sister islands next time.

Thanks, Maria.

Are the sister islands lively in the evenings ? My two daughters (18 & 23) would never forgive me if they had to spend "every" evening with their parents.

IanH:
Thanks, Maria.

Are the sister islands lively in the evenings ? My two daughters (18 & 23) would never forgive me if they had to spend "every" evening with their parents.

Ha, ha - I have a 19 yr girl as well and feel your pain! You may have better luck at Cayman Brac as it is bigger than Little Cayman. They will kill you if you take them there. But don't forget that it is always a matter of luck with girls that age. They either find lots to do, or just one person that will make the trip for them :crafty:

Maybe you can negotiate for the East End for a few days with a short trip to the Brack or LIttle Cayman. The beauty of the East End is that it has very few hotels, and then they are of the time share/condo kind mostly; then you can just drive to town if you want to take your girls out for the evening. Or just give them the car with a few suggestions.

PM or (email me at the address in the profile) me if you go back... I've been going there for about 9 years now and the place feels like home. Plus I know young people that will be glad to socialize with your young ladies. My friends' operation on the East End has staff that will always invite guests to join them on either Friday or Saturday for a bite to eat and some dancing in town.

I'm a transplanted expat and appreciate your general comments. By the way, did you take your family to eat at 'Bed' or the "Cracked Conch"? totally different places with great food each.

Maria

sharkdiver00:
PM or (email me at the address in the profile) me if you go back... By the way, did you take your family to eat at 'Bed' or the "Cracked Conch"?

Thank you, Maria

I will email you if we go back. At the moment we are planning a trip to the Maldives in Feb 2005.

We all went to the Cracked Conch and enjoyed it. My eldest spent many a happy hour in "bed".

Ian

Back
Top Bottom