Grand Cayman Resorts/Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jean-o

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
After much advice, (thanks to all on this board!) I am looking into a trip to Grand Cayman in May. It sounds like the East End will be better (and less crowded) diving. I have seen some deals on Expedia for Treasure Island and Sunset House. I have read other reports on Sunset house, but wondered where Treasure Island is located (East End?) and what dive op would be a good one to use from there?
Any recommendations on dive sites in that area? Any tips or caveats? How far is the airport from both of these? Do the resorts provide transfers?
Thanks for any info!
Jean-o

One Island at a time!!

I stayed at Sunset House and liked it very much. Easy shore diving and boat diving operation was very good.

Treasure Island is on the west side of Grand Cayman along Seven Mile Beach. Sunset House is also on the west side, south of Georgetown.

There are two large resorts, some condos and vacation homes, and Dive Lodge for accomdation in East End. Morritt's Tortuga Club and The Royal Reef are the large resorts and are adjacent to one another in Colliers on the northeastern tip of the island. Cayman Dive Lodge is more basic accomodation and has many happy return guests. The various vacation rental homes and condos are available in a wide price range.

There are three dive operators in East End, with many more on Grand Cayman's west side (which includes West Bay, Seven Mile Beach, and Georgetown). The East End operators cover an area roughly from Old Man Bay in the north around the eastern tip of the island and on to Frank Sound in the south. It is truly outstanding wall diving. You can check out Tortuga Divers (I work there), Ocean Frontiers, and Cayman Dive Lodge for your East End diving needs.

There is an on-site dive operator at Treasure Island Resort - Bob Soto's Reef Divers. The on-site dive operator at Sunset House is Sunset Divers. There are too many other west side dive operators to list. Many will provide pick up service from any west side location.

If you are not into crowds you should check out Cobalt Coast Resort on the Northwest end of the island. Great new small resort with awesome diving on the Northwall right out your front door. It is off the beaten path but only 15 minutes to the shopping if you want. Divetech is the dive shop that is at the resort. I can not say enough good things about them. I will say all their staff are experieced instructors that went out of their way to make sure we had a great adventure. Checkout their dive from shop to shop, over one mile with a guide and boat support. It was a blast....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom