Grand Cayman Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm going to be on Grand Cayman this January, and since I like UW photography, would like to go diving with an operator that won't rush me or make me play "follow the leader" while the DM goes flying through his course (I like to hang aound in one spot for a while, and let the creatures come back out of hiding).

Unfortunately, I'm coming in on a cruise and only have one day (No flames please - I dive and my wife doesn't. Diving on a cruise gets both of us most of what we want).

I'm looking for a dive operator that takes out small groups and isn't in a hurry. I don't mind paying a little more than average, if necessary.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

How about taking a guided shore dive with Divetech. It would probably be 1 on 1 and you could take as long as you like. Cost is something like $35.
They are located in West Bay at the top end of seven Mile Beach,relatively close to the cruise ship terminal.

I did a bunch of diving in that area last year. Its nice

I have dived with both Fisheye and Divetech and really enjoy Divetech's boats and their two shorediving shops on the Northwall. I especially enjoy the shorediving for photo because the DM's know where all the great shoots are and there is no hurry, just you and the guide. They even have a small cavern with about 30 tarpon, arc way with lots of beautiful sponges and every creator you would like to photo. Wish I could go with you..... Great memories.

worlddiver:
I have dived with both Fisheye and Divetech and really enjoy Divetech's boats and their two shorediving shops on the Northwall. I especially enjoy the shorediving for photo because the DM's know where all the great shoots are and there is no hurry, just you and the guide. They even have a small cavern with about 30 tarpon, arc way with lots of beautiful sponges and every creator you would like to photo. Wish I could go with you..... Great memories.

Thanks to everybody for their recommendations!

I think I might end up doing the shore dives, since the ship's schedule seems to be designed to prevent me from doing anything interesting (they arrive in the middle of the morning and leave in the middle of the afternoon).

I did setup some nice dives with Deep Blue in Cozumel, who seem like very nice people and have a bunch of favorable reveiws on here on the board.

Thanks again to everybody for the current and past dive reports!

Terry

If your going to do shore dives, Divetech at Turtle Reef has an easy in easy out of the water at their shop. You can get your tanks at the shore, there is an area to rinse your gear and yourself, as well as a nice restaurant. If leads into Turtle Reef which is a very nice dive. During the day the tarpon hang out there and you'll see plenty of fish and coral. You can dive along, which is no cost to you other than rentals, or you can get a guide. They also have DPV if you want. If you go to their Colbalt Coast shop, They have a 2 mile scooter tour which is very nice, but has to be arranged in advance. I'd just go with Turtle Reef.

You can also call Neptunes Divers . They'll pick you up at the boat and bring you back. Cassie, one of the owners is a board member. You can send her a message. Her user name is CAYMANCASE.

Last there is Bob Soto Reef Divers. Never dove with them, but they have been there forever, and I heard they were good.

But limited time, you might be better going to Divetech. Check out all of the places mentioned in the thread.

Have a great time

Bill :irazz:

SCUBAMedicBill:
You can also call Neptunes Divers . They'll pick you up at the boat and bring you back. Cassie, one of the owners is a board member. You can send her a message. Her user name is CAYMANCASE.
Bill :irazz:

But they did ask that I take a cab to meet them at Public Beach. Cassie said that at the cruise dock the morning the ship(s) arrives traffic is a nightmare and she would have great difficulty finding me. I don't have a problem with this. I'm looking forward to diving with them. WAY better than going with the ships excursion.

I'll be on GCM March 24 onboard the Grand Princess, and yes I know the cruise thing isn't the best for diving, but the non-diving family........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom