Grand Cayman or Aruba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melmark

New
Reaction score
I've got 5 days to dive in December and have set my sights on either Aruba or GC. Looking for folks who have been to both and your thoughts/experiences between the two. I'm looking for a resort style stay and plan on lots of freediving as well.

:pooldive:

Last edited:
I've been to both and most folks will say the diving is better in Grand Cayman.

There are several "dive resorts" over on the east side of the island also on Grand Cayman.

Aruba is very nice, but it isn't really a primary dive destination like some other islands are. I will say that the restaurants in Aruba are GREAT. lots of south american influence, like Argentine or Brazilian steak houses.

either place the food prices is not cheap on either island. but that's just something you have to deal with.

I've been to both and most folks will say the diving is better in Grand Cayman.

There are several "dive resorts" over on the east side of the island also on Grand Cayman.

Aruba is very nice, but it isn't really a primary dive destination like some other islands are. I will say that the restaurants in Aruba are GREAT. lots of south american influence, like Argentine or Brazilian steak houses.

either place the food prices is not cheap on either island. but that's just something you have to deal with.
Is Bonaire considered better diving than Aruba?

melmark,
i've been to both.
imho the diving in bonaire is better than aruba.
however, there is alot more going on topside in aruba than bonaire.
regards,

Is Bonaire considered better diving than Aruba?

I would have to say that Bonaire would be considered by most to be better diving over Aruba.

Overall in diving in sites, accessibility, reef life, etc. In Aruba, all dives are boat dives and pretty much hit the "same spots" on a schedule every week. In Bonaire, most everyone dives sites THEY CHOOSE and not the boat operator, because they shore dive the many sites there.

melmark,
i've been to both.
imho the diving in bonaire is better than aruba.
however, there is alot more going on topside in aruba than bonaire.
regards,

Yes Aruba has more to do topside. but mostly "shoping" and restaurants. Lots of condo's and time shares in Aruba to support that.

Going out to eat every night was great in Aruba.

We own a time share on Aruba and have a bunch of dives logged there. Gotta say Aruba is a second level site; Caymans and Bonaire (as well as Cozumel) are the prime sites. For the Caymans I would suggest a live aboard, visiting all three islands, especially Little Cayman for Bloody Bay and its wall. Thi8s is probably cheaper than staying on Grand Cayman. Bonaire is the most comfortable diving I have ever done - just grab a tank, swim out 50 feet, drop over the wall down to 90 feet, then finish the tank at 15 feet in great gardens.

ARGH! Just got back from Grand Cayman. Did the east end and the diving was good. Not great. Topography underwater was really cool with the swim throughs and the high profile coral heads. The marine life was good.

Also did 7 mile beach dives. Can you say Jamaica? That isn't totally fair. Negril Jamaica is way better than 7 mile beach. The reefs are dead. Virtually no hard coral, little soft coral and few sponges and a fish here and a fish there. Cool swim throughs, but that's not enough to make the diving good. I think they killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

Haven't been to Aruba, but I can't believe it can be any worse.

Hi Mike,
I'm new to scubaboard and trying to get some information on grand cayman. We are going over Thanksgiving. It's my son's first dive trip and I want it to be great. Never been diving here, we are staying on 7 mile beach area. Can you help? Thanks so much! Jill
Not sure my way around this site, so any help on how to post general questions would be awesome!!!

Hi Mike,
I'm new to scubaboard and trying to get some information on grand cayman. We are going over Thanksgiving. It's my son's first dive trip and I want it to be great. Never been diving here, we are staying on 7 mile beach area. Can you help? Thanks so much! Jill
Not sure my way around this site, so any help on how to post general questions would be awesome!!!

Not sure how much damage the hurricane just did?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom