Grand Cayman East Side Diving on a budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott101

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings,

I might have a chance to head to Morrits this fall and was wondering if anyone could give me some dive op suggestions? The 2 I have looked as so far say something like $550/ 10 dives! Is it just me or is that a tad high? Anyway, having never been there, I was looking for some info.

Also, if it correct that it is gonna be about $150-$200 per day to eat?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure who you are getting your prices from but they do seem a little high. At present there is only one operator in East End; Ocean Frontiers and I'm fairly sure that their "rack rate" is around US$99 per 2-tank dive and that they have package rates for multiple days of diving so that would certainly work out to be less than US$550 for 10 dives.

On the west side many of the small group dive operations offer dive packages as low as US$360 for 5 x 2-tank dives.

As far as eating goes, how much do you eat??!! US$200 per day on food here would keep the most extravagant of eaters very, very happy. To save money take advantage of any cooking facilities offered at Morritts and eat the occasional meal in.
The most expensive restaurants here will provide you with dinner for less than US$100 a head, unless you drink the Chateau Latour '58!!

In brief you can eat for as much or as little as your budget allows. In East End there are less restaurants than around 7 Mile Beach and Georgetown but enough to keep you from death's door!

CJ

While currently Ocean Frontiers is the only dive operation up and running in East End, plans are in the works to reopen Tortuga Divers when Morritt's reopens. Details are still being worked out, and you can direct inquiries to the Red Sail Sports toll-free line 877-RED-SAIL (Red Sail is the parent company of Tortuga Divers).

Morritt's units all have kitchen facilities and I would highly recommend making use of them, particularly for breakfast. Still, there are several places to eat out around East End and the eastern districts that won't break the bank. There are locals fish frys, the Sunday Driftwood BBQ, Arlain's, Miss Viveen's Kitchen, Lorna Wood's Jerk Stand, the Wreck Bar at Rum Point, and Over the Edge cafe to name a few reasonable options. Of course there are other favorites for a night out including Portofino, Cecil's at Kaibo Yacht Club, and Roland's Garden. No visit would be complete without a dinner or two out on the west side. Ask your divemaster to recommend a few favorites.

Come on down. Dive packages offer a real value and we're eager to show you what East End has to offer.

Thanks for the information. We are still not sure if we can make it (RCI is booking Morrits but not many rooms are open yet? if any) but I am dying to get down there.

I didn't know that Tortuga's was still out so that will help a lot in planning the trip.

The food estimate came from reading a few trip reports and the prices they paid for lunch and dinner (plus everyone always saying GC is great but really $$$).

Drew, you have me all excited now thinking about the East End diving....wonder if its as good as the quarry (10-15 vis)that I have been diving in up here? I know, doubtful but at least it will be a change of scenery........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom