Grand Cayman diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdcBob

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A number of years since I've dove Grand Cayman. Looking for recommendations on the various dive operators.

Thanks,

Bob

Most operators on Cayman are good.There are some cattle boats such as Don Fosters and Red Sail which I would shy away from.Where will you be staying,it might be easier to use a dive op near you.There are some all inclusive options available also.

35 companies to choose from - all are excellent - all don't offer the same experience.

Sunset & Cracked Conch - shore dives. Sunset is also a resort. If you want to do boat ops...

- do you want to dive with a group? ie, cattle boat
big boat with a toilet
follow the leader UW
you don't choose where, the op decides where the dives will occur based on X Y Z . . .

- do you want a small boat experience, tiny group or your own personal guide?
- allowing you to choose where you want to go?
- allowing you to have your own profile?
Solution: Cayman Turtle Divers

Our afternoon dives, it was just us two + DM + captain. So we basically had custom + private for no extra charge.
If one or two more couples, you decide together if you want Deep + Shallow, or Shallow + Shallow (ie, wrecks or walls)

FWIW, every diver I met there, told me that diving the East or off of Rum Point the dive quality was much better than along Seven Mile Beach.

I did one shore dive from the Cracked Conch, didn't see turtles but saw signs. I recommend for a evening dive, as the wall there has bio luminescent plankton, like the lagoons in Eastern Porto Rico.

Sunset house doesn't have a beach, Rum Point area has a beautiful beach.

Shop around & have fun!

Edit - Diving in Maui, Hawaii & Mexico Cozumel area, saw turtles on every single dive, sometimes 3 or 4.
In Grand Cayman, not a single view in the wild.
I expected "more".

If your on smb and want to have beach pick up go with seasports. If you want north wall. Indepths is there more than others. On the other hand when I was with indepth last. Wall to wall was on every sight we went to dive. There are lots of choices, none of them bad. I will echo east ends comments but maybe some people like cattle boats.

Most operators on Cayman are good.There are some cattle boats such as Don Fosters and Red Sail which I would shy away from.Where will you be staying,it might be easier to use a dive op near you.There are some all inclusive options available also.

Staying at Coral Sands.

You are right outside of georgetown on 7 mile beach.That is centrally located.There are ops that will pick you up at your condo such as DNS,Ambassador,Indigo,etc..

On a note related to this, anyone have a recommendation on in-expensive accommodations on the island? The DAN mag has me interested, but I def. can't afford to rent a condo. Beach pickup was neat, but not mandatory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom