Grand Cayman Dive Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rye22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all, kinda new here, but I thought I would post something since a dive trip with my club recently fell through.

We were scheduled to head to Turks & Caicos and spend a week diving at the South Caicos Ocean Beach Resort, however, unfortunately that has fallen through. We are determined to go away in Feb. so a new trip is being planned.

So a few of us are thinking of the Caymans. We are kinda limited to flights from US Air, which is where a couple of us had already booked out flights from, so that unfortunately rules out Bonaire (which was very high on the list). The gent organizing our trip now is extremely stand up and is lucky enough to spend a lot of time diving in the Caribbean. He has taken it upon himself to organize our new trip and while he has many connections throughout the Caribbean, I'm just looking for some suggestions for Grand Cayman. He mentioned specifically: Sunset House on the East side of GCM.

If anybody else has some suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rye Sunset House is on the South side just below Georgetown they do offer packages ,also Divetech does also on the north side.Just two there are more.

Personally I would not stay at Sunset House.
That part of Cayman is too crowded for my taste.

Divetech/Cobalt Coast is great.Cobalt Coast Dive Resort in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands featuring scuba diving and snorkeling vacation packages

You might also look into Diving with Ocean Frontiers and staying in their condos.Ocean Frontiers - Grand Cayman Islands, Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Vacation Packages You would need a car if you stay on this end (East) of the island.

How many divers are there in your group?
You could consider one of the smaller and more personalised operations if your numbers are not too high.
CJ

East End is less crowded for sure with great diving. Look into renting a house maybe @ Cayman Kai. That would mean having a car. Compass Point is some great condos associated with Ocean Frontiers which is THE Dive Op on the East side.
Dive Tech is really West Bay and you can't go wrong with them either. They are aligned with Cobalt Coast and Arie is very much a hands on owner with a smile ready to do anything for his guests. You could get by without a car there.
Sunset House is within walking distance of town. Diving is not as good here. Too much cruise ship activity in this area for me.
Car rental is pretty cheap. Last May I got a sub-compact for $25US/day.

I recently dove both 7 mile beach area and with Ocean Frontiers. I wouldn't recommend 7mb. While the topography is cool, the marine life is very lacking. Ocean Frontiers was one of the very best, if not the best, diver operator I have ever dove with. Great topography and decent marine life.

I was fortunate enough to dive with Divetech during their TechWeek event in September.The weather was pretty rough so we went to the West (top end of SMB) most days. First time I have dived in this area.
The deep walls at 200 feet are amazing but at recreational depths this area is nothing special .
The North Wall and East End are far superior.

I was there in July...we had two families with kids. Your situation may be different, though. Anyway, we rented a place here:
Cayman Paradise Villas - Grand Cayman Rental Villas

They have an incredible pool (good for kids). We dove one day with Ocean Frontiers and twice with Red Sail. Both were very good, although I thought that OF did a better job of finding better dive sites.

If you stay on the East End then a car is a must. We used Andy's...they are a very short walk out of the airport terminal. I left the wife and kids with our luggage and was back with a Jeep in no time.

Good luck!

I second the votes for Ocean Frontiers (www.oceanfrontiers.com) and DiveTech (www.divetech.com). Both are excellent dive ops, have on-site lodging (Compass Pointe and Cobalt Coast, respectively) and will take very good care of you.

If your group is culinarily challenged, you might find DiveTech that DiveTech will suit you best, you can get a meal package there.

We have quite a few dives with both these, as well as Neptune's Divers (www.neptunesdivers.com), and recommend them all without hesitation.

Let us know what you all decide...

DS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom