Grand Cayman dive package suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bristoldiver

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to the Grand Caymans in April and I wonder if anyone has any good suggestions for the budget-conscious diver where to stay while on this seemingly overpriced island. Thanks for any help with this.

How many are going,what is your budget? Cheapest is to go with a group,rent a condo or timeshare,cook in and go shore diving.
How about this http://www.tug1.org/tugads/1-7dname1.html#ad51692.
It is possible to do Cayman on the cheap and have a great time if you do it properly.Or you can stay at the Ritz Carlton and spend the earth.

Oh,and there is no such place as "The Grand Caymans" its either "Grand Cayman"
or "The Caymans" which includes Little Cayman and Cayman Brac (pet peeve of mine :) )

Bristol, there are many nice places on Grand Cayman to stay however, my favorite is Cobalt Coast on the west end. Divetech is right next to it. And they have a second shop at Turtle Reef about a 5 min drive away. Check out the web site WWW.divetech.com Have fun. Turtle gal

Try Harbour View Apartments if you are on a tight budget.
They are just north of Georgetown, basic but clean with some cooking facilities which can save you big bucks. There is a large supermarket within short walking distance.
They are on the beach/ironshore and have great snorkelling right in front.
Most dive operators will pick you up from there or you can hire a car (very reasonable rates).
Hope this helps,
CJ

Harbour View (www.harbourviewapartments.com) is a perfect location with a good reef right offshore if you can find anyone who will still rent tanks to take off-site. You might try Eldemire's if they are full but it's a bit of a dump. Sometimes Hotels.com will turn up good deals but most of the really cheap accommodation has gone over to long term rental now.
Always got the best car rental deals from CICO-Avis, even after I bent one of their cars.
Cheapest way is to shore dive - Spanish Bay, Cobalt Coast, Dive Tech/Turtle Reef, Eden Rock, Sunset House and off Divers Down right in George Town but do that last one when there are no cruise ships in.

enjoyingthesun:
Harbour View (www.harbourviewapartments.com) is a perfect location with a good reef right offshore if you can find anyone who will still rent tanks to take off-site.

What do you mean by "if you can find anyone who will still rent tanks to take off-site"? Is there an issue with this in Grand Cayman? Why will they not let you do that?

jo8243:
What do you mean by "if you can find anyone who will still rent tanks to take off-site"? Is there an issue with this in Grand Cayman? Why will they not let you do that?

Yes, some dive ops which used to let you rent tanks and take them off-site will no longer do so. They say they have been "burned too often" by people not returning tanks.

However, you can always rent tanks at Divers Supply.

What is Divers supply? We are looking hard at GC and want to save some money by shore diving. If the dive ops wont let you take tanks off-site, how does that work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom