Grand Cayman condos???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sarasmile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

This is my very first post. My husband and I have been searching Grand Cayman resorts and condos. We are looking somewhere to just relax and dive (of course). Is it better to stay at somewhere like Cobalt Coast or go to the east end and try a condo like Morritt's Tortuga?

We haven't been diving in quite awhile, but plan to get our AOW before we go. Does the east end have pretty easy dives? Or here is another question, would it be better to just go to Little Cayman?

Thanks for your input.

Sara

Stayed at the Reef Resort in April and was very pleased with the property. It is 40 min from Georgetown (East End) so you are away from the crowd. They have Condos and Studio apts. Their dive operator was Ocean Frontiers and I was happy with them.
Tim

Both Cobalt Coast and Morritt's are nice properties, but they have their differences.

Cobalt Coast is a much smaller property located in West Bay . There is not much of what I'd call beach in that part of West Bay. The on-site operator is Divetech and they provide shore diving and boat diving. Divetech is one of the few places catering to technical divers as well as recreational divers.

Morritt's Tortuga Club is one of the largest resort properties on Grand Cayman and is located In Colliers in East End. The beach at Morritt's is quite nice and uncrowded and is protected by an offshore shoal reef. The on-site operator is Tortuga Divers and they provide boat diving and also conduct various snorkeling trips. There is no shore diving on-site but the snorkeling is quite good. Tortuga caters to recreational diving only.

Both properties are in relatively quiet parts of the island and neither are affected by cruise ship traffic. A rental car is advised for guests staying at either location.

The East End is the windward side of the island and will be choppier seas than the west side. There are plenty of easy dives and the coral is beautiful and healthy.

Little Cayman has nothing but excellent diving and peace and quiet. It is a great place to relax and dive, but not a whole lot else.

I've stayed at Cobalt Coast and plan to go back. I've only dove the East End on long day trips from the west thus far but have driven out there and looked around the resorts. Cobalt Coast is a great option as well as the places mentioned on the East end. If you can do something more than a week (I'd say at least 10 nights to make it worthwhile) you could even do both, like visiting 2 different islands with no flying in between. Little Cayman is of course great too, a little more trouble to get to but worth it. It's all good diving so you might pick based on if you want civilization/restaurants/shoppng/stuff available (not too far a drive from Cobalt Coast, long drive from East End, long swim from Little Cayman!)

You might also take into consideration the time of year and prevailing weather conditions, you can always dive someplace there but certain times of year will reduce your chances of diving certain areas, or at least make for some exciting boat trips (actually fun for lucky people like me who don't get seasick, YMMV.) Since you haven't been diving anywhere in Cayman yet you may not care about as much about getting to specific areas.

The other thing to think about is how convienient you want diving to be. If you stay at Cobalt Coast you may get to shore dive there if conditions are right, but you will also often be jumping in the van or your car with your gear for a short drive to wherever the boat is docked or to their other shore dive facility (very nice shore dive at Turtle Cove.) It's not really too much trouble and it's nice to have options.

At the Reef you will be taking a drive to Ocean Encounters shop (they are building condos right by the shop but they're not open yet, or maybe just barely open.) At Morritt's or (I think) anyplace on Little Cayman the boat leaves from the resort.

Ocean Frontiers does have condos well under construction and they should be open sometime this year. If you are interested in staying there, you might want to drop them an email for a progress update.

That's more than we can say for a certain other huge Seven Mile Beach construction project which allegedly will be open by Christmas. :rolleyes: Perhaps they will surprise us all and be ready to go on schedule.

Tortuga Divers does leave from the dock at Morritt's. Ocean Frontiers has a retail shop at The Royal Reef, but they pick up there by van for the short drive to their main shop.

Hey thanks everyone for the great info. We will be going in September probably. The airfare is on sale by about half right now if purchased by June 24th. You can travel from like July til December. At least it is from Dallas. Anyway thanks again.

Sara

Sarasmile:
Hey thanks everyone for the great info. We will be going in September probably. The airfare is on sale by about half right now if purchased by June 24th. You can travel from like July til December. At least it is from Dallas. Anyway thanks again.

Sara

Sara, which airline has the good deals to Cayman from Dallas???

maredigrastexan:
Sara, which airline has the good deals to Cayman from Dallas???

It was on Delta for $225.00. I have been watching for it to go down. But the rules and my travel agent said you have to book it before June 24th. Hope that helps.

Sara

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom