Grand Cayman-Cobalt Coast Trip Report - Sort Of

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I hoped to be writing a detailed trip report of our week in Grand Cayman after arriving home back in Michigan ... But..... Flight was supposed to leave at 1:00 Pm today but we are still at the airport at almost midnight- flight delayed due to a flat tire and then no available crew ... So we are now awaiting a 2:00 am departure - arriving in Atlanta at 5:40 am - and don't have a connecting flight ....ughhhhhhh ....

Anyway........

The staff at Cobalt Coast were very accommodating and dive staff at Divetech fantastic. The diving was very good-our timing for our trip couldn't have been better except the day we arrived we couldn't get in a shore dive due to the conditions. Conditions got better each day ....

Stay tuned- more coming in the few days ahead ....

Sorry to hear about the airport. When I flew in and landed there, I asked one of the ground crew how many planes they see on a daily basis. He said to me well your flight is our 3rd today, and your the last one. This was their busiest day of the week! I can understand the lack of personnel to change a tire out. Everyone there is on cayman time :) I'm glad your trip went well other than the departure time!

They certainly see a lot more than 3 planes a Day at Owen Roberts Airport on GCM. Ive been at the airport when there have been 4 planes at the ramp at one time. There are over a million tourists a year on GCM. How do you think they all get there? Cayman Airways services their own fleet of 737s on site and the airport is a busy one. In my experience, most flights leave right on time. If there was no wheel and tire available, I'd blame the airline you were with for taking so long to fly one in, not the locals.

Sorry to hear about the airport. When I flew in and landed there, I asked one of the ground crew how many planes they see on a daily basis. He said to me well your flight is our 3rd today, and your the last one. This was their busiest day of the week! I can understand the lack of personnel to change a tire out. Everyone there is on cayman time :) I'm glad your trip went well other than the departure time!

Could you be referring to Edward Bodden Airfield on Little Cayman by chance?

Here is the Flight Schedule for Owen Robert's on GC.

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I look forward to hearing more about your experience as I am booked to stay at Cobalt Coast and dive with Divetech at the end of the month.

Rmaldon240-I will post a detailed report in a couple days-but here is a little info.

The dive staff are a well oiled machine. They have lockers for your dive gear. Their boats are located off sight - they take you in 10 passenger vans to the boats and dive gear in the back of pick ups- that concerned me initially, but that concern disappeared pretty quickly. Weather permitting - they will bring the boats right out front of the resort but while were there only tried once.
There dive briefings on the boat are the best I've ever had. Usually 2 DMs in the water but there was the option of breaking off from the main group if buddy teams wanted to. Dives lasted up to an hour.

The shore diving in front of Cobalt - make sure you do a surface swim out - the wall is quite always out.
The shore diving at Lighthouse Point- 10 minute drive away-the wall is much closer. Let them know when you want to dive there and they truck you over. The day we arrived we planned to do a shore dive out front but there were 5-6 footers coming in and the shore diving was closed. Definitely dive the Kittiwake and Sting Ray City.

More later...

Thanks Reidster for the update. We are going to CC May 11-18 and don't like the idea of being "bussed" over to the boats. I hope the weather is good enough to have the boats brought to the dock. They said it should be for May; but I guess we shall see.

Rmaldon240: Please give us your opinion as a first time visitor. Either while there or in a trip report on your return.

Enjoy guys.

I don't get the 3 flights thing either. GCM is certainly busier than that. I think even Little Cayman has 4-5 a day, and more on a Saturday.

I've stayed at Cobalt Coast in April and July and not once have we gotten to leave from the dock there. :(

I have been to Cobalt in May and November. Both times, the dive boat left from Morgan's Harbour. Only 10 minutes away and from Morgans, it is quick access to the North Wall sites. Not a big deal. The dive op is excellent and the accomodations and food are very good as well. You won't be disappointed. If the wind is howling on the North, the boat leaves from the West Bay dock, I think. I was lucky both trips and we were able to dive North exclusively. It's a fair swim from the dock at CC to the miniwall and the dive shop was willing to ferry us out by small boat. Worth asking.

Back
Top Bottom