Grand Cayman Beach question (not diving related)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amm91

Reaction score
Hello all & Happy Holidays!
I'm taking off for a diving vacation in Grand Cayman in 2 days, and needed to ask a quick question about the beaches there.

We are staying at the Comfort Suites, family reunion with lots of children. My uncle (already there) just called and mentioned that the beach across the street is not good for the kids because the sand and water are completely full of sharp coral (good for snorkeling though). So they have been driving 6 miles up West Bay Rd. to Cemetery Beach. I am loathe to make a long trek with my infant, no umbrellas, no bathroom facilities or refreshments close by, etc...

Can anyone recommend beach options for our non-diving afternoons? We do have a car available. Thanks, Anne

Seven Mile Beach is in full retreat due to erosion. It's now more like Five-and-a-half Mile Beach with the southern end (where Comfort Suites is located) most affected.

There were two portable toilets set up at Cemetary Beach yesterday. Lots of shade there too under some huge old trees. Even local cinematographer Frankie Flowers was there shooting some small bit for his movie Haven was going on as toursits milled about. But otherwise there are no restaurant facilities there.

The shoreline in Cayman is public. You may access the beach through any public access point (well sign-posted) and then walk up and down the beach all you please. Don't be fooled by signs at hotels and such. Obviously the services such as beach chairs and pools that the hotels put out are for their guests, but if you are buying drinks at the bar and perhaps lunch at their restaurants, most hotels won't mind you cutting through their property.

You may also want to check out Public Beach which is located approximately 1/2 mile north of the Westin Hotel. Beautiful beach area with adequate parking and bathroom facilities and fresh water rinse. Also large wooden cabanas for shade with picnic tables.
No good snorkelling there... I would go to Cemetery as Drew said for that. And I would avoid Public Beach on Sundays as it can be busy with locals having kids B-Day parties and such. Loud music and those "bouncy castles" everywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom