Grand Bahamas - where to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billyb38

New
Reaction score
Initially, I was taking me and the boys (13 and 14) to the Bahamas and doing the Blackbeards "Liveaboard". That fell through, but I've already made my flight reservations. Where should I try to stay in order to be on the beach, close to diving/snorkeling and walking distance to most tourist attractions. I just don't want to be down there and find myself taking cabs everywhere we go.

thanks,
Billyb38
"newmember"

The Westin at Port Lucaya is the nicest place on Grand Bahama Island. I stayed there last month and it was top notch and yet reasonable. Right next door is the Sheraton which is on par.

They are located on the ocean and across the street from Port Lucaya Marina the home of UNEXSO, one of the larger dive operators on the Island.

Good luck have fun and don't forgot to do the shark dive.

Billy

there is also Port Lucaya Resort which is closer to the shops and marina near Unexso all with in walking, the Westin is across the street from the shop market but close as well.

i have stayed at the Port Lucaya resort is was clean and had what we needed at a good price, the room rate starts at $90 a night based on 2 which you can get double beds. On Firday night the locals put on a show at the market square which is fun, if you like rum try the pain killer drink it is good, they have pain killer 1, 2, 3 , 4, 5 the number is the shots of rum in the drink so be careful which number you pick.

I am a dive travel agent and would be glad to help, have any questions don't hesitate to contact me at bbuchanan@scubaplanners.com

Babs

I told you ScubaBoard would be the place to ask. See you soon.

Cabs suck!!
The Buses run 'til 7 each night. They only cost $1 and take you wherever you want to go. But, you can find most anything within walking distance in Port Lucaya.

Be sure to go to the Pub. Its next to Count Bassie Square. Try the awesome fries. It's one of my favorites when I'm there.

I recomend Grand Bahama Scuba
They'll pic you up and return you to your hotel.

Please post a trip report when you get back!! I'm not going to Freeport 'til the end of October, so I have to enjoy it through others until then! :wink:

I was in the Bahamas last March. We flew into Nassau and spent several days there and on GRI we stayed at the Pelican Bay in Port Lucaya. I would definitely stay at Pelican Bay again. We also dove with UNEXSO which was right next door.

Back
Top Bottom