Grand Bahama Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traveltina

Reaction score
We got back last week from our 7 day trip to Grand Bahama Island. Here is my review...

CARIBBEAN DIVERS - We dove 4 days with Caribbean Divers. When I made the reservation with Caribbean Divers, I was told by the gal at the desk to call her when we arrived on the island. I wasn’t able to call her until 5pm –and they close at 4pm – so we didn’t know if we were going to dive the next day or not (very frustrating). I left a message and we decided to go to the dive shop at 7am the next day. The hotel by the dive shop (Bell Channel Inn) told us they would be there at 8 – so we waited around. Around 8:30 she showed up and told us that the morning dives we had scheduled were now going to be afternoon dives that day. I wanted to pay her for 8 dives each, but she would only allow me to pay for 6, because there might be some “weather” problems. We found out that the only problems she was looking out for is if they didn’t have enough divers to go out. I had scheduled 4 days of 2 tank morning dives, but we did all afternoon dives except for 1 day. We had to call her every night to find out when/if we would be diving the next day. We were told that they wouldn’t take us out if there were only 2 of us - we barely got to dive the last day but some other divers called and booked at the last minute.
Other than the horrible administration of this dive operator – we had a great time diving with them. Presley Knowles, the owner took us out on every dive. His nephew Jerry helped out on 3 of the 4 days we dove. On our first dive we descended to 6 or 7 Caribbean Reef and Black Tip sharks. Quite a rush – especially for us since we were shark virgins! We saw sharks on 6 of the 8 dives we did with them. Presley took us to the same dive sight that UNEXSO and XANADU do their shark feeds at. In the morning there weren’t many sharks – but when we went out at 1pm (1 hour before the 2pm UNEXSO feeding) the sharks were there – ready to eat. We also saw huge Nassau Groupers, and Southern Rays. Presley told my husband that he doesn’t take divers on wall dives because he doesn’t want the risk. He also said he prefers to do resort courses over certifications because they are quick easy money. We dove with 10 resort course divers during the week.
Presley’s boat was adequate. He had tank racks with bungies, but only a 5 gallon bucket for cameras. There was a open rung ladder to get out of the water but you had to climb over the back of the boat once you got up the ladder (or wait for Jerry to take your gear off for you).
I would not dive with Caribbean Divers again because we spent the week wondering if we were going to be able to dive the next day – not what I wanted to be doing on my dive vacation.
If we go to Grand Bahama again we will try diving with Grand Bahama Scuba, recommended by Tavi from the Scuba Board. We didn’t try them this trip because they were 20 min from our resort – a drive that would have been well worth it I presume.

UNEXSO – We scheduled the dolphin dive and the shark feed dive with UNEXSO both on the same day. For the dolphin dive we were loaded on to a 30’ boat with about 6 other divers. Everything went well – and the dive staff was friendly and helpful. We rode in our boat to another bay and then followed a little boat with the dolphin trainers out to the dive site. The dolphins were let out of their cages, and followed the trainer’s boat to the site. During the dive the dolphins went around the circle of divers, first they came over to us and allowed us to pet them. Next they brought a ring over to us, we took it, they went and got a fish from the trainer, then they took the ring from us and passed it to the next person. Third was the best, we stayed vertical, a few feet off the bottom with our right arm extended out to the side, shoulder joint locked, the dolphin came and put his nose in our hand and spun us around twice. Last the dolphins came and gave us a kiss, with our regulators out of our mouths. There were two dolphins, but we did each trick only once with one of the two dolphins. We debated for quite a while on whether to do the dolphin dive or not because it was $189 per person – I have mixed feelings about whether it was worth it – but it was a neat experience. My husband believes it was definitely worth it.
Before our morning dive, I watched as UNEXSO’s catamaran loaded up with 25 divers for their 2 tank dive trip. We talked with a man who had done all of his diving with UNEXSO, he said that the staff was good – but it was very crowded on the boat.
In the afternoon we went back to UNEXSO to do our shark feeding dive. This time we took the catamaran (huge boat), and we had 8 divers again. The catamaran has no place to put your tanks except under the bench seats. The shark feed was very exciting – and well worth the $90 per person. All 8 divers were lined up on the bottom (about 45’) on their knees, 2 safety divers wearing partial chain mail suits stood on both ends of the line, with a 4’ piece of PVC pipe to push away any sharks that got too close. When the divers were situated, the videographer and the feeder came down in full chain mail ($9,000 suits I hear). I think there must have been more that 20 sharks there. The animals came as close as 2 feet from me, I was on the end and the safety diver was constantly pushing them away with his pipe. Very cool!
We bought both videos (dolphin and shark) for about $55 total. The videos were good, about 10 minutes each – no bells and whistles, just some back-ground music. UNEXSO has a lot of apparel for sale, most of it very expensive. My husband bought a embroidered polo for $70.

CLUB VIVA FORTUNA - We got a great package through Yahoo Vacations for 7 nights at Club Viva Fortuna, Grand Bahama, including air from Omaha. Club Fortuna is an all-inclusive resort which includes all meals and bar drinks.
When we arrived at Viva Fortuna, we were checked in by a staff member who didn’t seem very concerned with giving us any details. We received a room key and our TV remote, and went and dropped off our bags. We then had to make an additional trip to the front desk to get our safe key, this service is free of charge but the front desk didn’t mention it. Later we had to make a 3rd trip to the front desk to give them a credit card number to be able to make local calls – again – not mentioned when we checked in. This staff member was consistent with the other staff members we encountered during the week – lazy. However –we got such a great deal that the lazy staff didn’t really bother us.
When we first arrived were asked to meet with Beatrice for “orientation”. She gave us a sheet that says what time the meals are – then tried to get us to sign up for a time share speal (90 min). We just told her we weren’t interested. A few other people tried to talk to us also – but we told them we had already gone.
The food at the resort was very good. The food is served buffet style in the main dinning hall. For breakfast you can get a made to order omelet – but it took at least 20 min every time. I think the omelet lady was only half there and moved slower than a snail. There was plenty on the breakfast buffet if you didn’t want to wait on the her. Lunch always had pizza, burgers and hot dogs, along with varying buffet items. There was also a snack served from 4-6pm – pizza, hotdogs, fruit and cookies. Their pizza was very good! Dinner again was various buffet items lots of Italian dishes – we were craving something different by the end of the week. There was always plenty of fresh melon, oranges and pineapple at every meal. Also a nice salad bar for lunch and dinner. The food at the Italian sit-down restaurant was excellent – the staff again was lazy however. The wine included with dinners was jug wine – yuck! A bottle of wine at the Italian restaurant was $20 – you could also purchase steak or lobster for an extra charge.
It appeared that the Bahamian staff at the resort weren’t giving the same privileges as the young Italians who worked various jobs during the day and performed in the shows at night. The Italians ate in the dining hall with the rest of the guest, and would sometimes bud in line in front of guests. We found most of them to be very rude – they acted like we were interrupting their vacation. The Bahamian staff had to eat in a small building behind the kitchen. The bartenders were so-so. They received tips from many guests – but didn’t seem to favor them over non-tipping customers. All drinks are served in 8 oz. Cups which made for lots of trips to the bar.
Our room was clean and comfortable. The AC worked very well. The maid neglected to pick up a broken ceramic towel rack after we hung too much on it one night (who knew it couldn’t handle 2 wet suits and 2 regulators?), which meant we had to be careful not to step on broken glass – but again – we got a great deal so who cares – we wore shoes.
The beach at Viva Fortuna is awesome! White sand, and crystal blue waters. You can walk a mile or two in either direction on the beach. Plenty of beach chairs to go around also. The pool was nice also – only one though. They closed down the pool to regular guests one evening for a party giving for a European tour operator. There were some very angry guests that night!
We decided to get a rental car for the entire week – and we were very glad we did. Viva Fortuna is not within walking distance of anything. Without a car we would have gotten bored at the resort – and the Taxi fares would have added up quickly. We rented from Brad’s Rental car for $280 for 7 days.
We didn’t dive with Viva Fortuna’s dive shop because we figured it would be mostly resort course divers. From the looks of it – that was not true. I am sure that we dove with more resort course divers on Caribbean Diver’s boat than Viva had all week. Viva Fortuna’s dive boat was about a 25’ pontoon boat that looked like it was set up fairly well with tank racks. I would definitely try Viva’s dive shop before I went to Caribbean Divers.
Overall we were impressed with the resort and the food, but not impressed with the staff. Still – I would stay there again because it was a cheep – and we had a great vacation despite the staff.

Glad to hear you had a good time.
As for car rental,
How did you do, driving on the "other" side of the road? I never wanted to try it but I guess my wife will on our next trip!

Tina:
Thanks for the report. I have done the dolphin dive,, and the shark dive with Unexso. I thought both were pricey, but worth it.
So where are you going next?

Tavi - my husband did all of the driving. It took him a while to get used to it - but after a day it was no problem. They have a lot of round a bouts there - which makes it a little easier. One day we had a car comming down the wrong side of the road at us - which was a little scary - but thankfully he got over. The weird thing was that it was a local driving!

Natasha - we don't know where we are going next - but isn't planning the next trip fun? We have several possibilities we are considering...Cayman, Costa Rica, BVI's, or the Riveara Maya perhaps. Hopefully we will get a short trip to Florida in this summer and dive in the keys. If only I had an unlimited supply of money and vacation time!:wink:

Nothing chases away the "after trip blues" better then planning your next trip. hehehhe
From your list I vote for Cayman!
And I might as well give a plug for Wreckmania, since you're considering Florida this summer.
We have a trip down there, July 19th to the 23rd if you're interested.
:sunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom