Grand Bahama Trip Report (as promised)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got the pics back!!! check some of them out here

This was our best trip yet!!! The weather was great, mid to upper 80's each day, mid 70's at night. The water was 82f, the warmest we've seen it yet. Sunny each day (I think it rained twice, but not for long!!), and we only had a couple of days with choppy seas! most of the time it was calm. Also the people we met we just great!! divers and non-divers too!!

We have two vacation memberships (similar to timeshare) at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort We keep going back there because we like it so much!!! We walk out our door and to the dive boat. We dived with Grand Bahama Scuba. There are still sites here we haven't seen, And we have our favorites too. I'm always trying for a better Shark picture, and I think I finally topped my last "best" one!! A new favorite of ours is the Seastar II (Duncan's Wreck) a freighter that was sunk in April of this year. Debbielou finally got to dive Theo's Wreck also. Looking through our pics I see that my focus has changed from corals and fishes, to Sharks and Wrecks!! I also enjoyed helping out with the new divers and resort course divers. I really enjoy this (more on this in another thread soon).

This trip I took my Fred T Heavy BP and a Halcyon 27# wing. This helped my trim a lot!! I just switched to a 5' hose prior to the trip. I took my old hoses in case I didn't like it....... but I do! I love my XL Jetfins with springstraps too. I was the only diver with a BP/wing or long hose. I never heard any negative comments about it. I removed the crotch strap after the 2nd day. No problems without it!! Another tip I got from the boards was to put mineral oil in my ears before diving. No ear infection this time!! :) Thanks, to whoever suggested that!!

This year Debbielou switched from Mares Quatro's to Tusa split fins. She loves them!! and no leg cramps like the last two trips!!

My wife has turned into a great warm water diver!!
I am Gratefull!! (now we need to work on the cold water :wink:)

This Trip, I logged 23 dives, my wife logged 21.

We flew on Air Tran. No problems, and only two flights instead of three.

Maybe next year 1 week in the Keys, 1 week in Grand Turk, and 2 weeks in GB :wink:

Hey fellow Rochestarian! Sounds like a great trip! Nice to know there are other warm water divers in the area. What LDS are you affiliated with. PM me.

Hey Tavi,

I was pleasantly suprised to see you stayed at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and dove Grand Bahama Scuba. I'll be staying there this coming May. We also have a timeshare deal with RCI, and after a short search for an opening Ocean Reef Yacht Club came up. I jumped on it immediately of course. Ive read up on "Theos Wreck". Seems everyone recommends that one. I have seen pictures of it, and understand it sits on the edge of a 2000 foot ledge? That should be a thrilling sight to see. I have not heard of "Duncans Wreck". Sounds like you had a really good experience there with Grand Bahama Scuba. Thats good to know since we plan to use them as well. Hard to beat diving out your back door! I would love any information you could give me on your whole experience there in Freeport. We'll be there for a week, and I'll be diving with my brother in law. He's not certified yet, but will be by the time we get there (knock on wood).

ScubyDoo once bubbled...
Hey Tavi,
Ive read up on "Theos Wreck". Seems everyone recommends that one. I have seen pictures of it, and understand it sits on the edge of a 2000 foot ledge? That should be a thrilling sight to see. I have not heard of "Duncans Wreck". Sounds like you had a really good experience there with Grand Bahama Scuba. Thats good to know since we plan to use them as well. Hard to beat diving out your back door! I would love any information you could give me on your whole experience there in Freeport. We'll be there for a week, and I'll be diving with my brother in law. He's not certified yet, but will be by the time we get there (knock on wood).

Yup, they make it sound really awesome, But!! it doesn't look like it sounds. Theo's is on the ledge at 103' to the sand. From there it gradually slopes down to 200' then drops to 2000'. On one of our trips, three divers went down the slope to see what they could, they turned back at 140'. The "edge" was still not in sight. Don't get me wrong, it's a great dive. It just doesn't look the way some people make it sound.
Ocean Reef is a great place to stay, My wife and I have two weeks membership there, and yes it's nice to just walk down to the dive boat each morning.
If your brotherinlaw isn't certified by then, he can do it there. They're offering SDI/TDI certifications there now. Or he could train at home and do his certification dives there as a referal.
The name "Duncan's Wreck" is what some people think the wreck should be called, Duncan being the man who made it possible for the ship to be sunk as an artificial reef. Unexso has a plaque on it, but from what I hear they had very little to do with it. The ship is also known as the Seastar II. Ask Fred, he'll tell you the story.
Monday night is the members party at Ocean Reef, it's good food and drinks and one of the only things you won't have to pay for in "Free"port. Don't miss orientation at the resort Sunday morning. You'll learn a lot then. I always enjoy watching the resort course at the pool afterwards. I enjoy seeing the faces of those trying scuba for the first time!!
The Bus is a buck (takes you almost anywhere, no real schedule). Cabs are a lot more.
A couple of the best meals I've had on the Island were right at the resort.
If you think of anything else you'd like to know please ask!!
You can let me know how many Sharks you see. Somebodys been fishing for them!!! I hope they haven't caught any more.
Have a great trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom