Grand Bahama Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeilH

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I will be at the Westin on Grand Bahama Island in June with a non-diving couple. They would like to try snorkeling one day, but he is prone to seasickness and loathes a long boat ride. Is there snorkeling from shore that is worth it (i.e. a healthy reef) or alternatively within a 20-minute boat ride?

Anyone tried the Fantasia Tours “Deserted Island” snorkel?

http://www.snorkelingbahamas.com/#island

No, they were not interested in an “Intro to scuba” dive.

Thanks for suggestions.

Have your buddy try some Bonine about an hour before the boat leaves. There are other tips to help reduce the chance of motion sickness.

My wife remembers vacations by where she blew lunch....with Bonine she has all but eliminated motion sickness.

It’s a different topic, but motion sickness is a funny thing. He never gets airsick, only “seasick”. I get both. I have to take Meclizine (Rx form of Bonine, I think) when I fly. But Meclizine won’t work for me on the water where the Scope patch works wonders. Before the patch I would get ill during a safety stop in surge. Now nothing.

He tried Bonine on a cruise and in his words, “gave him something to throw up”. Given his experience with, “take this and you’ll be fine”, he is not one to trust again.

Shore-based or a relatively short ride where land is always visible he is up to. Any GBI options fit that description?

Thanks.

NeilH:
My wife and I will be at the Westin on Grand Bahama Island in June with a non-diving couple. They would like to try snorkeling one day, but he is prone to seasickness and loathes a long boat ride. Is there snorkeling from shore that is worth it (i.e. a healthy reef) or alternatively within a 20-minute boat ride?

Anyone tried the Fantasia Tours “Deserted Island” snorkel?

http://www.snorkelingbahamas.com/#island

No, they were not interested in an “Intro to scuba” dive.

Thanks for suggestions.

Check with...
http://www.xanadudive.com/Snorkeling.html

The 40 foot reefs the dive boats go to is about 10 minutes from the beach at Port Lucaya. Any of the dive shops should be able to get you to a location in that amount of time or less for snorkeling. A depth of 40' is usually between a few hundred feet to half a mile off the southern shoreline of Grand Bahama. We ocassionally took snorkelers on the dive boat with us, and they seemed to like what they saw in most instances. From my experience on the island (I used to work at one of the dive shops), there is not much reef worth looking at shallower than 40'. Most of the shallower reef is pretty dead, from both natural and human causes.

CAPT HOOK:
Get hold of Grand Bahama Scuba.

They do a reef snorkle that's only 15 to 20 minute boat ride. You can dive there also, not great but a dive.

Talk to Fred at GBS about the sea sickness, before your snorkle trip. He has a medication that really helps.

1/2 of the 15 to 20 minute boat ride to Silver Reef is in the Canal so the open water ride is even shorter. Silver Reef is a beautiful Dive. Lots of pretty fishes and coral.

Back
Top Bottom