Gps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SwimJim

Contributor
Reaction score
Currently I use a handheld GPS to find wreck sites. It works okay I guess as I almost always find what I'm looking for. However I am considering upgrading this winter. I thought I would ask you guys for your recomendations.
Who makes the best unit? Is WAAS really worth it? I also can't spend a fortune. (can't sneek that one past the wife). So I'm looking for something for under a thousand.
Thanks in advance for your input.:confused:

Furuno is my choise, i have tried Lowrance, Magellan and Apelco (raytheon)
The Furuno was fitted early last year, and is Head and shoulders above the others. Its a very proffessional unit.
It was worth EVERY cent, in fact the savings in gas will pay for it within 2 years. Especially on long haul trips out wide.
I Have the GP31 and have it connected to the LS6100 sounder (fish finder). I am in love with the package. It was pretty cheap too, my next upgrade will be to Color screen and Radar interface, all Furuno again.

www.furuno.com

dave

I have been using a Garmin handheld plotter (nitrogen sealed water proof unit) $389 for about three years now (since they dropped selective availability) I do not run differential but the addition would be another $299 for the reciever and then I have a docking port on the boat so it runs off the boat power system $40

The detailed chart for my area was an additional $100 and is upgradeable for three years...

I am a big fan of the plotters, and enjoy the portability of the unit for use at work or on other boats...

Let us know what you find...

Jeff Lane

Further to my last post.

I dont feel WAAS (< 3mts accurate) is necessary for wreck finding. DGPS (3-5 mts accurate) is more than good enough, and I dont even use that.
What I find is that I can put my boat over the wreck using a combination of GPS and sounding techniques to within a few feet. By the time I set the pick, and lay the rope out, depending on tides/drift/wind etc, I can still be 20-50 feet off the mark (at best).
WAAS would not help me get any closer, hence I cant justify the cost.
Added to that, Im not sure of the range of WAAS when it comes to offshore, I believe it is a system designed for inland, specifically airport approaches.

Dave

I'm glad to hear Aquamaniac recommend the Furuno. I also have the GP-31 and matched fishfinder (the model escapes me). I have not used any other GPS units so I can't compare, but the Furuno has never let me down. I bought the power/interface cable as well so I can maintain my GPS numbers on the computer(you have to solder on your own com port connector and provide a 12V power source).

Stone,
That would be my only complaint, I wish they sold a pre made lead, rather than the DIY method. It wasnt hard, and took about 10 mins. I used an epoxy filled heatshrink, But Id rather a moulded lead.
I still love it though. (when I get to use it :( )

Dave

Back
Top Bottom