Gotta get wet in Arkansas!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Double_D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK folks, so I'm in Little Rock for the next two weeks and it's nearly December. Darn the luck. But on the off chance there's a dive event happening somewhere nearby, I threw my gear in the car on faith. Call it wishful thinking. So I am looking for weekend dive recommendations within 2-3 hours drive from here. Yes I know it's getting cold - packed the drysuit, weather report is generally sunny, good to go. Thought about making the long pilgrimage to Bonne Terre - and I may because I didn't have room for a tank and that would fix both problems with one stop. But I sure hate to drive past numerous Arkansas destinations just because I'm on my own. Anyway, look forward to getting a few tips and ideas. My wife already suggested having my head examined, so you can save that one - asked and answered. Thanks in advance.

cannon_guy:
OK folks, so I'm in Little Rock for the next two weeks and it's nearly December. Darn the luck. But on the off chance there's a dive event happening somewhere nearby, I threw my gear in the car on faith. Call it wishful thinking. So I am looking for weekend dive recommendations within 2-3 hours drive from here. Yes I know it's getting cold - packed the drysuit, weather report is generally sunny, good to go. Thought about making the long pilgrimage to Bonne Terre - and I may because I didn't have room for a tank and that would fix both problems with one stop. But I sure hate to drive past numerous Arkansas destinations just because I'm on my own. Anyway, look forward to getting a few tips and ideas. My wife already suggested having my head examined, so you can save that one - asked and answered. Thanks in advance.

I dove Beaver Lake last Wednesday at the North Dam site. Temperatures were cold but tolerable. Visibility was pretty good - read my trip report on the thread "Dive Site Ideas" in this forum.

Beaver is only about 3 1/2 hours from Little Rock, and there is a dive shop there open year round (C&J Sports).

-Nick

Thanks for the frost report, NSDiver! C&J is great, and Lost Bridge Marina has fills too. I dove Beaver Lake a half dozen weekends this past summer - it's a solid choice. I was looking for something new or maybe a group activity. Any other ideas? I'm going to visit area LDSs to see what I can stir up.

I'd be up to diving as a group sometime if I can schedule the weekend off for it.

Lake Ouachita has great vis, but the shore diving pretty well sucks. You need a boat to access most places. I really liked the LDS I visited there in LR. Its called "the dive shop" and is located at 1222 westpark dr. The shop is kinda hidden, but turn at the scuba sign and go to the back part of the complex. Great shop, and very helpful staff. They can probably hook you up with some good diving.

Heres hoping that the army sends me back there again this summer for another stupid AAR! I love dive travel at the armys expense!

Hey fire diver! I'm here for a course at PEC - small world. Anyway, I already stopped in there last night and they are contemplating a trip to Heber Springs this weekend. The Dive Shop's been good to me so far. Have an open house scheduled the weekend I depart - just my luck. Anyway, thanks for all the tips and ignore the calendar - keep diving!

OK - closure for this thread. I got hooked up by the fine folks at The Dive Shop in Little Rock. Dove the bluffs across from the marina at Greers Ferry on Saturday, 3 December. Day started out cloudy and drizzly. Vis was about 20' and water temps at all depths were 54 degrees. Since I'd never dove there, virtually anything was entertainment but I had a great time checking out the cistern and the walls. It was all good. Sun came out as we motored back.

Thanks again to the folks who made it all happen (Scott and Mark - you know who you are!) and I'll not miss another chance to get back there in the future.

Back
Top Bottom