Got The New Mask - Ready for the First Clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I got the Cressi Sub Big Eyes mask...wonderful fit...wonderful feel...everything is amazing. Now, to clean the protective film I've heard you can use toothpaste to do it. Will the little grit things in the toothpaste harm the clarity of the mask, ie scratch it up? Is there anything else I can use? I've heard Dawn works too, and I've got a little bit of that around.

Mild abrasives won't hurt glass. Don't use them on polycarbonate. I don't know which the Cressi has, but I think it's glass. I have one sitting here that needs to be done, but I want to be sure of the material first.

I use soft scrub or white tooth paste myself. I have also used slate cleaner.

Cressi has True Tempered glass...I'm hoping it doesn't scratch it up. Second question: maybe I'm totally blonde on this one, but how do the buckles work? I'm used to masks with just the little slider thing. To tighten the mask is a cinch...loosening is a problem.

Be sure to clean and test it. Here's what I do.

Pete

I wash the lens with toothpaste and then toss it in the dishwasher (drying heat off).

shotthebreeze:
Cressi has True Tempered glass...I'm hoping it doesn't scratch it up.
The abrasive in toothpaste is fine enough that is polishes the glass as it removes any film and grease left over from manufacturing.

Rubbing the silicone skirt a bit with toothpaste will help remove any film/grease/oil/release compound still on the silicone, making it less likely that you will have to repeat the toothpaste treatment of the glass.

I find that using the lightest sandblast will take most coatings off.

JK. Toothpaste works well. Do it 4-5 times before use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom