Got Steel - Want Nitrox Cert - Should I reconsider?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I have these newish steel tanks that I paid a pretty penny for. I was planning on getting nitrox certified this year, but then I kind of got the feeling from someone who I mentioned this too that maybe it was a bit risky to be keeping high Oxygen levels in my tanks due to the increased susceptibility to rust. Is it not uncommon to use Nitrox in steel tanks? Am I being worried for nothing?

Thanks

You are worried for nothing. I have steel tanks, and both are Nitrox cleaned.
Besides, how would they rust?

Yes, you are being worried for nothing. It is common to use nitrox in steel tanks.

Am I being worried for nothing?[/QUOTE]
Absolutely. I just got 2 130 HP steels myself,
first fill was 32% for my nitrox checkout dives.

Dave

dlwalke:
So I have these newish steel tanks that I paid a pretty penny for. I was planning on getting nitrox certified this year, but then I kind of got the feeling from someone who I mentioned this too that maybe it was a bit risky to be keeping high Oxygen levels in my tanks due to the increased susceptibility to rust. Is it not uncommon to use Nitrox in steel tanks? Am I being worried for nothing?

Thanks
I think you should trade me for a couple of aluminum tanks. You can never be too careful :wink:

yeah

every tech diver and cave diver in the world uses steel tanks with nitrox
with no ill effects

I hope not...otherwise I just dumped a ton on doubles for no reason :wink: I think you will be just fine, just keep em dry.

gstroupe:
I hope not...otherwise I just dumped a ton on doubles for no reason :wink: I think you will be just fine, just keep em dry.

You mean on the inside, right?

I have 3 steels dedicated to trox. Lotsa fills/dives, no ill effect. Just be sure to avoid the introduction of moisture into the tank. Usually this happens at on-site fill stations when a few drops of water are left in the valve after a dive, then blown in during the fill. This causes spatter rust in the tank which should be tumbled out at the next inspection. Before letting anyone fill your tank, crack the valve for a couple of seconds and blow-out/evaporate any residual moisture. Stop worrying, go get your cert and enjoy the bottom time!

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom