Got a gear and wish to re-familiarize myself with standard skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the drills I intend on practicing in 3-4 meter deep water. Swimming up my rig...I'll definitely add that to the list.

As for people discussing the weight belt topic: as far as I know, the purpose of the belt removal and return skill is in case it may come loose or nearly fall off in a dive, to be able to return it correctly and safely, or if one would need to adjust something on it then it would require taking off first. So without this skill, one is in greater risk of what a few people already stated; the danger of an uncontrolled ascent.

Regarding the uncontrolled ascent topic: I think this could be more of an issue with a standard BC. But when you have a backplate, usually most your weight is still on you, if you drop the belt...at least in my case.

The whole weighting thing is very situational. In my drysuit I wear 20lbs on my belt and about 10 on my back. If I drop my belt, I'm coming up, probably pretty fast. Best I could do is flare and breath, but no guarantee against an AGE.

For the belt, sure, adjusting it in the water is a good thing to have done a few times. I probably still wouldn't take it all the way off. If it's under your waist/crotch strap, the likelihood of it coming completely off without you noticing is probably small. But, as you're going to be shallow when you practice it, it's not really a big deal either way. If it gives you some peace of mind to have practiced it and feel like you could do it in a stressful, task-loaded situation, then by all means practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom