Got a free tank - Have some Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smbstyle

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I picked up a tank from a local guy who doesn't dive anymore and is trying to clear out some garage space. It is a Luxfer Tank, looks like it was manufactured in 1997 and last inspected for corrosion by a local dive shop in 2001 with a PADI cert. sticker on it.

Well, I have a few questions. I have no idea what model it is, or what to do to make sure it is in proper working condition? I was told by the owner that Scuba shops no longer fill these tanks because they crack or explode during the fill?

I don't remember how to interpret the letters and numbers on the tank, but here they are:
---------------
3AL
DOT-E6498-3000

P174442 USD

10 (C3/53) 97
3 *UP ARROW* 78
5 B 83

---------------

Any information on the tank, year, model, and what to do to make sure it's still usable would be great, or if I really am not able to get it filled and is useless.

Thanks,

Scott

If it was made in 97 it should be fine.
Tanks made before 88 are the ones that are made out of different aluminum alloys.
You will need to have the tank Hyrdo tested and visually inspected.

The EARLIEST hydro date is the date of manufacture. So this tank is from '78. (original post had wrong date here because I'm dyslexic when tired...) It's also a Luxfer, as best as I can tell, because it is made of the 6351 alloy aluminum, which is prone to SLC. You can tell that because it is stamped "E6498". Catalina didn't use that alloy and would have stamped it "3AL". Later facilities followed protocol by adding the 3AL stamp above the E6498 but it's still made of the 6351 alloy and is not able to be used realistically speaking, because it presents challenges and most dive shops refuse to fill them.

Do a search on Sustained Load Cracking, 6351 and Luxfer, you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know.

Down here, aluminum is $.02/pound, roughly. Best use for this tank, most likely, and I'm quite sorry to have to say that, as odds are it's a safe tank. Better off scrapping it and putting that money towards a newer tank. :(

If it was made in 97 it should be fine.
Tanks made before 88 are the ones that are made out of different aluminum alloys.
You will need to have the tank Hyrdo tested and visually inspected.
It was not made in 97, it was made in 78. Also, Catalina tanks were never made out of 6351, not all tanks made be 88 are "dangerous."

(you aren't wrong really on any points I just wanted to clarify further and add to what you said.)

The EARLIEST hydro date is the date of manufacture. So this tank is from '83. It's also a Luxfer, as best as I can tell, because it is made of the 6351 alloy aluminum, which is prone to SLC. You can tell that because it is stamped "E6498". Catalina didn't use that alloy and would have stamped it "3AL". Later facilities followed protocol by adding the 3AL stamp above the E6498 but it's still made of the 6351 alloy and is not able to be used realistically speaking, because it presents challenges and most dive shops refuse to fill them.

Do a search on Sustained Load Cracking, 6351 and Luxfer, you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know.

Down here, aluminum is $.02/pound, roughly. Best use for this tank, most likely, and I'm quite sorry to have to say that, as odds are it's a safe tank. Better off scrapping it and putting that money towards a newer tank. :(

It was not made in 97, it was made in 83. Also, Catalina tanks were never made out of 6351, not all tanks made be 88 are "dangerous."

(you aren't wrong really on any points I just wanted to clarify further and add to what you said.)
Good advice here. IMO, AL tanks aren't worth risking paying for a failed hydro if you have any doubt. AL80's with valves are only like $115 from divers direct. If it were a steel tank, I might take the risk.

You have an aluminum tank with an original hydro of March 1978 and a working pressure of 3000psi. It was sold under the US Divers brand name. The *up arrow* is the official mark (brand) of the original hydro facility-maker. It was re-hydroed in May 83 and Oct 97.

As for it's usefullness....well, IF you can find a LDS that really understands the history of the problems with the tank and the inspection process they will inspect and fill it-assuming it passes. Problem is most either don't understand the issues or just want to sell tanks. ... There is a good explaination of the issues with these tanks on one post a while back. It escapes me who posted it but it but I am pretty sure it was either Nemrod or DA Aquamaster.

I just noticed your in Raleigh. There are several shops in town that will inspect and fill it. Welcome to the board.

Thanks all! I think I will just scrap it and keep the valve because I do not want to risk anything, I'd rather pay the money for reassurance.

A little off topic from this thread, but what is the best type/brand tank to go with, for a reasonable price?

The EARLIEST hydro date is the date of manufacture. So this tank is from '83. It's also a Luxfer, as best as I can tell, because it is made of the 6351 alloy aluminum, which is prone to SLC. You can tell that because it is stamped "E6498". Catalina didn't use that alloy and would have stamped it "3AL". Later facilities followed protocol by adding the 3AL stamp above the E6498 but it's still made of the 6351 alloy and is not able to be used realistically speaking, because it presents challenges and most dive shops refuse to fill them.

It was not made in 97, it was made in 83. Also, Catalina tanks were never made out of 6351, not all tanks made be 88 are "dangerous."

Your both wrong, the manuf date is March 1978..

Your both wrong, the manuf date is March 1978..

It's good to see someone from the Raleigh area! Honestly I need to take a refresher course or something, I'd love to get into diving more seriously since I'm moving to Tampa, FL in September, but I haven't gone on a dive since October of 2005 at Lake Rawlings for my PADI Open Water certification!

I have been corrected: it is from 78. I had just awoken from a nap and for whatever reason read it as 87. I'll correct my initial post to avoid being misleading!

Also, if the tank is that old, the valve should be rebuilt most likely.

The tank would probably pass hydro, but a visual inspection might reveal cracks. That's what happened to me. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom