GoPros and Morays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwlmgold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In RockyHeap's recent mini movie, he had a close encounter when a moray came up close to his GoPro.

I had a similar experience in Roatan (http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/23377/Moray.wmv - double click the image for full screen). In my case, the critter came from a considerable distance and was rather direct in the action. I had a comment on this clip where someone had a similar experience as well.

I wonder if there is an aspect of the GoPro that makes it interesting to morays. Perhaps a high frequency sound. In all cases that I know of the encounter had a happy ending but yes, the beep in my clip is my dive computer telling me to breath slower.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

They are very reserved and don't like to be filmed :)

Maybe the red blinking light? I found this well behaved, camera friendly, posing couple on a ledge on the Daymanyiat Islands (Oman):

[video=youtube;u0We9SQs1KE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0We9SQs1KE&hd=1[/video]
(HERO2 with DH, no filter, one 80 degree beam 180 lumen light)

Not quite similar but I've got a clip of a full grown yellow moray being fed a tasty lionfish from a spear.

I keep a GoPro on my left shoulder while diving. Last weekend I had a sea lion go right at it. I assumed it saw just saw the blinking light.

Most often with Morays, they see their reflection in the lens, or have been fed in the past by other divers and they come up for food and see their reflection...........

I shake my head at people who chase down a fish/eel/critter..........Oh Look a fish, lets chase after it...............no wonder the critter flee's as it thinks it's going to get eaten.

I often freeze when seeing a critter, and more often than not, they're more curious about this big bubble blowing monster near them and come investigate you, and see their reflection in your mask or camera lens.

DON"T chase after things, you'll see SO much more by going slow, and they'll most often come check you out.............except for that dangggg Philippine clown fish that drew blood biting both me and my wife as it was guard his/her eggs. Damsel Fish and Clown fish, VERY teratorial protective little bastages............yes blood is green colored in the water at ~60 feet.

Studying / Watching animal behavior, not just the sighting of the fish, is what I really enjoy. I can watch a cleaner wrasse at a cleaner station for hours and them grooming other fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom