GoPro vs. Panasonic LX7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the things I noted was the ability to MWB with the LX7. I read that you can't MWB directly in video, but have to go to Photo, WB, then back to video. What is your experience for the MWB process?

One of the things I noted was the ability to MWB with the LX7. I read that you can't MWB directly in video, but have to go to Photo, WB, then back to video. What is your experience for the MWB process?
Nope that is the Sony RX100, the LX7 has a dedicated white balance button accessible in video mode

Ron,

How do you like the ikelite housing, have you had a chance to take it underwater? I am considering going the same route as you.

Are any of your movies on your vimeo shot with the Lx7?

this is so funny since when I decided to downsize my video rig, I was seriously considering buying a small P&S camera that shoots video.... but got talked out of it in favor of a GoPro.

I think I am still happy with the GoPro though. I can use it topside, takes interesting video, and my husband can use it when attached to his handlebars of his bike or on a helmet. Don't know that I would take the chance with a regular camera doing those activities. I can also pack it in my backpack when hiking, then pull it out for video clips when I want... size matters in that case.

I guess I will find out in 2 weeks if I made the right choice. I am off to CocoView for a week of diving and stuff... will plan to shoot video underwater and topside to share. This will be my second dive trip with it. I just bought the monitor back to use occasionally.

robin

I will be bringing my LX7 underwater for the 1st time next month in Cozumel.

I have a Nauticam housing. I decided to get the Nauticam over the Ikelite because I plan on frequently adjusting the manual settings underwater. The Nauticam offers easier and more precise control of these settings.

I still plan on using the GoPro. It's another tool in my toolbox for making fun interesting videos.

From what I can see the only control that is not accessible with the ikelite housing is the neutral density/manual focus lever
Neutral density is useful at shallow depth if you point the camera to the sunball and you are taking video. It is not that useful for stills based on my personal shooting style
The manual focus is more useful for video especially super macro than stills
The camera autofocus is excellent but there are few situations where manual focus helps such as tiny critters like tiger shrimps it skeleton shrimps again this mostly for video for stills the camera manages quite well and I never had to use manual focus even with +16 diopters at full zoom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom