GoPro subscription

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
What is it? If I shop for a new GoPro there is a subscription option that cuts a good chunk of money off the camera and throws a bunch of extras at it. The features sound like they should cost extra, not be part of a discount. So I am very skeptical of what is going on. Add in stuff like Microsoft now has subscription software, which is an on going payment to have it. Did GoPro do something that incredibly stupid to where you have to keep a subscription active on a camera or it will brick itself or something like that? GoPro isn't being very forthcoming about long term, only the up front benefits. Feels like they are hiding something that you really should know more about.

I subscribed to it when I upgraded my 3 and used the discount to order a bunch of accessories. I have a few GoPros and use them diving and on my motorcycles and bicycles so it's only a matter of time before I flood or smash one. Being able to replace one for a relatively small deductible is kind of nice. Prob not worth it for that reason if you are more careful with them than I am though..

I subscribed last year when I bought my Hero 9 and used it to get a pretty healthy discount on the camera, an extra battery, dual battery charger, and the underwater housing so I can take the camera diving. Just cancelled the subscription about a month ago (when they kindly notified me that it was about to autorenew) and it ended today. All I had to do was log in to my account and tell it to not auto renew. There was nothing nefarious about it or any kind of "Are you sure? Why don't you click here to stay for just one more year" sales push.

The long term benefits are the replacement options if you break your camera, free, unlimited cloud storage, and huge discounts on accessories and additional cameras. I use my camera for diving and hiking, not motorcycle racing, so the chance of breaking it a less than for some and I'm just not that into cloud storage, so I didn't see a long term benefit to continuing the subscription after I bought the accessories I wanted.

i think gopro is pocketing more $$$ when you buy direct from them over the retail stores, and the subscription perks are to arrack more sales to them

I saved a nice chunk of change with this on the 10 just the other day

Back
Top Bottom