Gopro setup on the cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Macgirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
So, I am considering buying the Gopro black and am checking out all the extra addons and wondering what I really need.
We are going to Bonaire in June, and this will mostly be used for daytime diving.

Do I need:
- tray or monopod?
- headstrap better option than the above?
- LCD bacpac - what is the depth rating for the bacpac, I can't seem to find it anywhere?
- kind of have my heart set on the SRP filter, but is there a better or cheaper option with similar results?
- do I need video lights? or is this an area I can save money?

Also, can anyone link me to a good DIY tray video or webpage? I would like to make one like SRP's, but need some guidance.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Both. Only you can determine which works best for you.
-No. And it's a great way to give your viewers motion sickness and/or lose your camera.
-60m with solid door, 3m with touch door, 0m with skeleton door.
-Depends on your definition of similar. Unless it is fairly loose, no.
-Depends on the nature of your diving. If you dive in low light or along shaded walls, yes.

Look through this section of the forum. Plenty of tray examples.

I'd recommend scrolling through some threads and watching people's videos. Most will have posted what equipment they used. I've seen some great results with the SRP filter and no lights. Given that I dive maybe one week a year lights just can't be justified so I'm skipping. I just purchased the SRP tray and filter so I won't be able to give personal feedback on those for a couple of weeks. The build quality on both seems very good though.

Make sure you actually want/need the LCD bacpac before buying. Hero Black's have a very short battery life as it is. With such a wide angle lens I'm going with just the basic camera and some spare Wasabi batteries.

Good luck!

I kind of think the LCD backpac is useful. I use it when I want to get very close and also want to make sure the subject is in the frame. The nice thing about it is that you can turn in on and off on the fly.

Try this link - The Original Flexible Camera Tripod by JOBY: Now in 4 new hues! Folds into a pistol grip for handheld shots or if you want to mount it to something static so you can swim away and film yourself just open to a tripod or wrap the legs around something. Tripod costs $19.95 and a GoPro tripod adapter costs $7.99. Cheap, flexible. I would never use a head or body mount and expect to get smooth videos.

My pole mount is simply an extra piece of 1/2" conduit PVC (grey), took apart one of the gopro mounts and with a little tape wrapped around to fill in the gap it fit right in the flared end. secured in place with a stainless bolt & nut. scrap piece of rope through a hole I drilled and a bolt snap allows me to clip it off if needed. Works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom